I have a lot to learn: Abhishek BachchanJune 27th, 2012 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 27 (IANS) Reviewing his last 12 years’ work, Abhishek Bachchan feels people have been over-generous and have given him much more credit than he deserves.
“I think people think I am a much better actor than I actually am. I think I have a lot more to do and improve. I think people are too kind to me,” Abhishek told IANS.
“I am very harsh on myself. An actor is always his worst critic. I feel I have been given too much due and I am not shamming by saying this. I genuinely believe that, I feel I have a lot more to do and learn,” he added.
Junior B made his debut with J.P. Dutta’s “Refugee” in 2000 - which got an iffy reception. Since then, he has seen ups and downs in his career with hits like “Bunty Aur Babli” and “Sarkar” and flops like “Kuch Naa Kaho”, “Bas Itna Sa Khwaab hai” and “Players”.
Abhishek goes by only one parameter while selecting his roles.
“Be it the biggest director or be it a very good script, but if my heart is not with it, I will not do it,” he added.
The actor, who turned 36 this year, is right now looking forward to the release of “Bol Bachchan”, which is coming out July 6.
Describing his experience, he says matching up to the required “energy level” and “style” of comedy in “Bol Bachchan” has been an “exhausting” task for him.
“Everything was a challenge. I thought it will be an easy film to do but it turned out to be the most difficult film of my career. I have done some difficult films in the past as well. But this film was exhausting to do. My misconception was that it is a comedy film, so it will be a holiday, but it wasn’t one. I worked very hard for it,” he said.
Loosely based on 1979 film “Golmaal”, the cast of “Bol Bachchan” also features Ajay Devgn, Asin Thottumkal and Prachi Desai.
This was not Abhishek’s first comedy. He tickled the audience’s funny bones with “Dostana”, but says that his “style of comedy is different” from what the film required.
“And that is what they (Ajay Devgn and director Rohit Shetty) taught me. They taught me the kind of comedy that was required for the film,” he added.
“In terms of energy levels, it was very tough. It took about a week for me to adjust in the new style of comedy. The first week of filming was tough. I came on the sets to do my part in a particular way. Rohit had a different idea and it took a week for me to achieve that. But full credit to Rohit, he did not give me up on me and after the pack-up, he used to tutor me. I hope I have got it right,” said the actor.
The most important thing for an actor is to achieve a comfort zone with his co-stars and director, says Abhishek who also worked with Rohit Shetty and Ajay Devgn in “Zameen”.
“According to me, an actor has to have implicit faith and trust in his director. As an actor, he pairs his soul with the director. I knew Rohit since the time he was an assistant director and I was a production assistant.
“Ajay is like an elder brother to me; so there is a huge amount of faith for him. I think that is what clicked. He is the most supportive co-star I have ever worked with,” he said.
(Anjuri Nayar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- (After 11)Buying film's rights is like paying tribute: Ajay Devgn - Jun 25, 2012
- Prachi wants to be paired with Devgn on screen - Jun 26, 2012
- Rohit open to 'Bol Bachchan' sequel - Jul 09, 2012
- Bollywood ga-ga over Abhishek's comedy in 'Bol Bachchan' - Jul 06, 2012
- Rohit Shetty feels the 100-crore pressure - Jul 25, 2012
- Ajay's character in "Bol..." mix of 'Singham', 'Golmaal' - Jul 03, 2012
- Working with Big B like working with god: Rohit Shetty - Jun 11, 2012
- Big B recreates 'My name is Anthony Gonsalves' - May 08, 2012
- No 'Golmaal' for now: Rohit Shetty - Jun 25, 2012
- 100 crore is the new silver jubilee: Abhishek Bachchan - Aug 04, 2012
- For Abhishek, 'Bol Bachchan' is about great memories - May 31, 2012
- We have not cheated anybody: Ajay Devgn - Jun 22, 2012
- Outsiders are not taken seriously in Bollywood: Prachi Desai - Jul 04, 2012
- Naagin dance scares Sharman (Movie Snippets) (With Image) - Jun 13, 2012
- 'Bol Bachchan': A modern day 'Golmaal' - Jul 07, 2012
Tags: abhishek bachchan, asin thottumkal, audience, bas itna sa khwaab hai, bunty aur babli, comedy film, debut, dostana, energy level, funny bones, itna sa khwaab, j p dutta, june 27, misconception, naa, prachi desai, refugee, sarkar, ups, ups and downs