I don’t think Shah Rukh ever was ‘King Khan’: Aamir KhanMarch 17th, 2009 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 17 (IANS) Keeping up his swipes at superstar Shah Rukh Khan and the No.1 slot in Bollywood, Aamir Khan, riding on the super success of his revenge drama “Ghajini”, has said he never thought Shah Rukh was ever on the top pedestal at all.
He also said Oscar-winning “Slumdog Millionaire” failed to “touch” him.
Aamir, during CNN’s special edition of “Talk Asia”, was asked how he feels about being termed the new ‘King Khan’ after the success of “Ghajini”. He replied: “I had absolutely no intention of kicking Shah Rukh off his pedestal. Though I have to say, I don’t think he ever was on it.”
Elaborating, Aamir said: “In my opinion, the actor who I really look up to is Mr. Amitabh Bachchan. He is someone whose work I really like, a fantastic actor and the kind of stardom Mr. Bachchan has seen, none of us can ever hope to see.”
The 44-year-old actor, whose latest work, the Hindi remake of Tamil film “Ghajini”, was a success at the box office, says he feels satisfied with his films only if they turn out to be as they are intended.
“You can never really tell until you see a film with the audience. How it is going to play with the audience. For me, what is important is that when I see the film once it is ready, has it turned out the way we wanted it to? If we have done that, then that makes me feel happy,” he said.
Aamir, whose own directorial debut film “Taare Zameen Par”, failed to get nominated in the foreign film category at the 81st Annual Academy Awards this year, says that “Slumdog Millionaire” failed to “touch” him.
“I thought the movie was well intended. It was a very sincere attempt, but it didn’t touch me personally, and I suspect it because I’m not used to watching Indians speak English, all these slum kids talking in English… it’s strange,” said Aamir.
This episode of “Talk Asia” will be aired on March 25 at 6 p.m. on CNN.
- World realising importance of Indian audiences: Anil Kapoor - Dec 05, 2011
- I want to sing for SRK: Javed Ali - Jul 02, 2012
- A twirl, a shine...moustache magic in Bollywood - Mar 31, 2011
- 'Velayutham' is special: Tamil star Vijay - Oct 16, 2011
- Aamir Khan goes bold with 'Delhi Belly' (IANS Preview) - Jun 28, 2011
- A hit Bollywood producer reveals his golden rule - Apr 07, 2011
- Bollywood actors who immortalised teachers on screen - Sep 04, 2012
- Aamir Khan wishes success for 'RA.One' - Oct 22, 2011
- India has a special place in my heart: Swank - Jun 26, 2011
- I still cry and get stressed: SRK - May 19, 2011
- Love for my work keeps me going: Anil Kapoor (Interview) - Jul 26, 2010
- B-Town excited about Karan Johar's birthday bash - May 23, 2012
- Like Oscars, IIFA doesn't need brand ambassador: Anil Kapoor - Jun 16, 2011
- Reality better than dreams: Katrina Kaif (Interview) - Apr 27, 2012
- Imran on what sets SRK, Aamir and Salman apart (Movie Snippets) - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: aamir khan, academy awards, amitabh bachchan, annual academy awards, bollywood, cnn, debut film, directorial debut, film category, foreign film, ghajini, king khan, march 17, mr bachchan, pedestal, revenge drama, shah rukh khan, slum kids, stardom, swipes