I copy common people: Akshay Kumar (Interview)May 4th, 2010 - 11:21 am ICT by IANS
By Dibyojyoti Baksi
Mumbai, May 4 (IANS) Akshay Kumar’s just released “Housefull” has broken the dry spell at the box office by earning Rs.64 crore in the opening weekend worldwide. The star says the secret of his success as a comedian is that he mimics common people around for most of his roles.
“The expression that you see are mostly stolen from the faces of common people. Normally mimicry is done of big actors, but it is fun to mimic those people who have no connection with this industry. So I copy common people without copyright (laughs),” Akshay, 42, told IANS in an interview.
“I travel a lot. Recently, I got stuck at the Frankfurt airport because of the volcano ashes incident. I had to wait long. So I sat down and looked around and people have something to offer. It’s amazing just to register that and sometimes while playing a character, suddenly that comes out and you start acting like that person. That’s what’s called mimicry,” he added.
The actor has worked in more than 90 films in his almost two-decades-long career. In the beginning, he mostly featured in action movies like “Khiladi”, “Elaan”, “Mohra” and “Main Khiladi Tu Anari”. He also did romantic films like “Yeh Dillagi”, “Dhadkan” and “Dil Toh Paagal Hai”.
With Priyadarshan’s 2000 hit film “Hera Pheri”, he forayed big time into comedies and tickled the audience’s funny bone with his performance in comic capers like “Mujhse Shaadi Karogi”, “Garam Masala”, “Phir Hera Pheri”, “Namastey London”, “Bhagam Bhaag”, “Heyy Babby” and “Singh Is Kinng”.
Akshay gives credit to three directors for grooming him as a comedian. “I would like to thank three people who contributed hugely in whatever little comedy I have learnt. The three are Neeraj Vora, Priyadarshanji and Rajkumar Santoshi.
“Let me tell you comedy is a big, big, big space. The biggest comedian was Charlie Chaplin who could make people laugh without saying a word. Then we have Mr. Bean. They are amazing,” said Akshay.
Contrary to his on-screen image, the actor claims to be a introvert and serious kind of person in real life.
“I am a very introvert and serious person. Even if I joke around, that’s limited to a vey few people I am comfortable with. They are my school and college friends. I do have a couple of friends from the industry as well.
“I am a workaholic. I work 24 hours. I have only one business, that’s the film business. I don’t have any film school degree. Whatever I have learnt is through my experience,” said Akshay.
So does he find it difficult to get into the skin of boisterous characters?
“Darling, the kind of cheque you get, you automatically start acting the way the director or producer wants (laughs) you to. How can that be hard then?”
Even after attaining such stardom, Akshay is connected with his past.
“Honestly, I am very close to everything that I used to do before this stardom. My old house, my old Fiat car, my motorbike - all are still there in running condition. Only the car’s air-condition doesn’t work, but the car is as good as it was when I bought it 24 years back,” said Akshay.
He has his hands full with Priyadarshan’s “Khatta Meetha”, Nikhil Advani’s “Patiala House” and Farah Khan’s “Tees Maar Khan”.
(Dibyojyoti Baksi can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Akshay loves action hero tag more - Sep 18, 2012
- I always crave for a big hit: Akshay Kumar (Interview) - Dec 01, 2010
- Bazmee will direct 'Welcome Back', not 'Hera Pheri 4' - Jun 12, 2012
- Tusshar heads to Vaishno Devi after 24 years (Movie Snippets) - Sep 03, 2012
- After 86 films, who cares about critics: Priyadarshan (Interview) - Aug 28, 2012
- Action is easy, comedy toughest: Akshay Kumar (Interview) - Mar 10, 2012
- Akshay Kumar - Anees Bazmi in a fix - Dec 05, 2009
- I'm ready for another innings in action: Akshay Kumar - Mar 27, 2012
- Making people laugh is a blessing: Anees Bazmee - Dec 06, 2009
- Priyadarshan busy as bee, thanks to new projects - Aug 30, 2012
- Akshay Kumar scouting for serious roles - Jul 16, 2010
- I'm a real desi boy: Akshay Kumar (Interview) - Nov 09, 2011
- Films and reality are two different things: Anees Bazmee (Interview) - Dec 09, 2010
- Thank you, Katrinaji Says Akshay Tongue Firmly In Cheek - Nov 25, 2009
- Paresh is my known devil: Priyadarshan - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,