I can’t even get close to Arun Govil: Gagan Malik (With Images)August 31st, 2012 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 31 (IANS) Usually actors aspire to play romantic or action roles, but Gagan Malik wanted to play the mythological character of Lord Ram — he got the chance to do it in the latest version of “Ramayan”. He says the character is a huge responsibility and he doesn’t fear comparisons with Arun Govil.
“Comparisons are unlikely as I can’t even get any closer to Arun Govilji (who played Lord Rama in the original ‘Ramayan’ televised series in 1987). I have tried to portray the character in my own style and with full conviction. I hope people like it too,” Gagan told IANS.
“For a long time, I wanted to portray a role like this and finally I got the opportunity and I am very excited. It’s a huge responsibility as people connect to it. We have grown up listening to ‘Ramayan’ and now being able to bring it to the younger generations, it feels really good,” he added.
The actor, who made his small screen debut with popular TV soap “Kumkum”, had to work a lot on his physique and body language for the role of Lord Ram.
“It was very important for me to get the look of Lord Rama right and understand it in a better way. I read a lot about it. I had to shed 7-8 kgs to get the look and I have also worked a lot on my body language. However, the spoken language is very simple so that was not a problem at all,” he added.
The first televised version of “Ramayan” came in 1987, which was produced and directed by Ramanand Sagar. Produced under the Sagar Arts banner, it was a hit, and Arun Govil got his due for playing Lord Rama.
Another version, by the same production house, came in 2008 with actor Gurmeet Chowdhary playing the same role.
Following his father’s footsteps, Moti Sagar recreates the magic once again with the new and simplified version that comes on Zee TV.
- New 'Ramayan' on TV simplified, technology-backed - Aug 04, 2012
- Gagan Malik, Neha Sargam to play Ram, Sita in 'Ramayan' (With Images) - Aug 23, 2012
- 'Ramayan' to be back on small screen - Jul 24, 2012
- Gurmeet is second Arun Govil? - Mar 30, 2010
- Gurmeet Comes Out Of Ram's Shadow - Jul 20, 2010
- For Hema, Dharmendra is king of romance (TV Snippets) - Aug 22, 2012
- Lord Krishna's untold story now on small screen - Jun 27, 2011
- Wrestler-actor Dara Singh dead, Bollywood in mourning (Second lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- "If I Had Cast Abhishek In The Tamil Version Of Raavan, I'd Have Still Been Shooting For The Film "- Mani Ratnam - Jun 16, 2010
- Wrestler-actor Dara Singh dead (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Ram Charan Teja will let silence speak louder in 'Zanjeer' - Apr 14, 2012
- VM - Dara Singh, champ with heart of gold, bid final goodbye (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2012
- Dara Singh, champ with heart of gold, bid final goodbye (Intro Roundup, correcting para eight) - Jul 12, 2012
- Shikha Swaroop returns to TV as Kaikayee (With Images) - Jul 30, 2012
- After Ileana, southern actress Sneha ready to enter Bollywood - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: arun govil, body language, conviction, footsteps, generations, gurmeet, kgs, kumkum, lord ram, lord rama, malik, mythological character, New Delhi, physique, popular tv, ramayan, sagar arts, screen debut, spoken language, tv soap