‘I Am Kalam’ to be screened at Cannes film festMay 6th, 2010 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) “I Am Kalam”, about trials and tribulations of a small boy yearning to attend school, will be screened at 63rd Cannes International Film Festival to be held May 12-23.
Produced by NGO Smile Foundation and directed by debutant Nila Madhab Panda, the movie will be shown as part of the Marche du section of the festival.
“‘I Am Kalam’ is a story of struggle that I have faced since my own childhood. The film celebrates the survival of the human spirit against overwhelming odds. It is an inspirational film aimed at both children and adult viewers,” Panda said in a press release.
“To make it more interesting I have given the treatment of a contemporary fable, which would surely attract children more since it promises you something that hard work will win half of the battle in life rather than luck. However, I would also see it as a world cinema,” he added.
Anurag Bhatnagar, general manager (resources) of Smile Foundation, feels the film is aimed at urging the masses to come forward and support the cause of child education.
“The main objective of producing ‘I Am Kalam’ is to highlight how a child aspires to dream in spite of all the hardships of the life. The Indian government has recently passed the bill on right to education. But the act will remain a mere legislation until and unless the privileged comes forward proactively for the cause,” said Bhatnagar.
“This film is an effort to appeal to all the privileged mass to come forward so as to make this act a reality on the ground as well,” he added.
It has been shot extensively in Rajasthan and was selected for the international film co-production market in Amsterdam. It has also been selected to be screened at the Vienna International Children’s Film Festival.
- 'I Am Kalam' about dreaming big, making big! (IANS Preview) - Aug 03, 2011
- Nila Madhab's 'Jalpari' screened at Marche du Cannes - May 22, 2012
- 'I Am Kalam' to be a trilogy: Director (Interview) - Nov 17, 2010
- 'I Am Kalam' to open IFFLA 2011 - Mar 31, 2011
- Film to promote poor children's education at IFFI - Nov 24, 2010
- Nila Madhab Panda supports 'green' films for kids - Jun 21, 2012
- 'I am Kalam' set for June release: Director - Apr 22, 2011
- Gulshan Grover to attend LA screenings of 'I Am Kalam' - Jun 17, 2011
- I Am Kalam To Be Screened In London Film Festival - Sep 20, 2010
- 'Villains have vanished from Hindi cinema' - Jul 11, 2011
- Watch out for mixed bag of movies this week (IANS Preview) - Jul 16, 2012
- Kids bring spontaneity on sets, says Parvin Dabas - Aug 30, 2012
- 'Rang Rasiya', 'I Am Kalam' at Chicago film fest - Aug 18, 2011
- Richard Gere to work in Indian film? - Jan 10, 2012
- 'Jalpari' not a serious film: Nila Madhab Panda - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: adult viewers, cannes film fest, cannes international film festival, child education, co production, fable, film co, hardships, human spirit, indian government, inspirational film, international film festival, madhab, main objective, nila, overwhelming odds, rajasthan, trials and tribulations, vienna international, world cinema