I am incomplete without Rafi: Shammi KapoorAugust 1st, 2010 - 1:00 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 31 (IANS) Veteran actor Shammi Kapoor, some of whose most memorable songs like ‘Chahe Koi Mujhe Junglee Kahe’ were in the voice of Mohammad Rafi, Saturday remembered the legendary singer on his 30th death anniversary and admits he is incomplete without Rafi.
“I am incomplete without Mohammad Rafi. I used to often go for the recoding of my song, which was sung by Mohammad Rafi, only because I used to like telling him how I would perform on this song on screen so that he can sing it that way. Even he liked my involvement,” Shammi told reporters at launch of Mohammad Rafi Music Academy at Novotel Hotel here.
Rafi died July 31, 1980 of a heart attack.
“When I got to know about his demise, I was in tears. The person who actually came to me to give the news said that Shammiji, you have lost your voice,” he added.
Music composers Pyarelal of music director duo Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Kalyanji of Kalyanji-Anandji duo, Ravinder Jain, Udit Narayan, Bappi Lahiri, Adnan Sami, actor Dara Singh, Jagdeep Jackie Shroff and Rakesh Roshan were present in the occasion among others.
Actor Rishi Kapoor, who was also present on the occasion, said: “From the time of Shammi and Shashi uncle, I also had the good fortune to have him sing for me in films from ‘Laila Majnu’, ‘Amar Akbar Antony’ to ‘Katilon Ke Katil’. I would like to quote (director) Manmohan Desai’s line for Mohammad Rafi: ‘If God had a voice, it would be Rafi’s voice’.”
Mohammad Rafi Music Academy is opened by Rafi’s son Shahid Rafi and his wife Firdaus Shahid Rafi.
Representatives of families of legends from the Indian music industry like Raju Naushad (composer Naushad’s son), Andalib Majrooh Sultanpuri (lyricist Majrooh Sultanpuri’s son) and Ruhan Mahendra Kapoor (singers Mahendra Kapoor’s son) are on the academy’s governing body.
“I am very happy to see that such an academy has been formed in his (Rafi’s) name. There should be many academies made like this. If they need any help from me, I am always there to support them in whichever way possible,” Pyarelal told IANS.
- Mohd Rafi's son to launch music academy in father's honour - Jul 29, 2010
- Bollywood songs to add to your patriotic fervour - Aug 14, 2010
- The best of Shammi Kapoor - through his songs! - Aug 14, 2011
- Mohammed Rafi was a musician with a soul: Son, biographer - Jul 31, 2011
- Maharashtra's 'Lata Mangeshkar Award' for composer Anandji - Aug 30, 2012
- Mohammad Rafi and Mahendra Kapoor's sons to sing together - May 05, 2010
- Telecom executive steals Mohammed Rafi tribute show - Aug 01, 2011
- Shammi Kapoor, tumsa nahin dekha (Obituary, Lead) - Aug 14, 2011
- Dev Anand remembers Mohammed Rafi - Jul 31, 2011
- New Bollywood hybrid music coming: Canadian composer - Aug 13, 2011
- When Kapoor family recollected Shammi Kapoor's memory - Sep 05, 2011
- There can never be a singer like Rafi: Lata Mangeshkar - Jul 31, 2011
- 'Naina lagey' stands out in 'Soundtrack' music (IANS Music Review) - Aug 29, 2011
- Sonu Nigam, Pyarelal recreate 1960s magic - Sep 23, 2011
- "I Wish I Could Get A Chance To Do A Typical Musical Film In Gujarati": Ayesha Takia Azmi - Jul 08, 2010
Tags: adnan sami, bappi lahiri, dara singh, death anniversary, good fortune, indian music industry, jackie shroff, jagdeep, kahe, legendary singer, memorable songs, mohammad rafi, music academy, music composers, rakesh roshan, rishi kapoor, ruhan, shammi kapoor, udit narayan, veteran actor