I always get roles through standard procedures - Tisca ChopraMarch 13th, 2009 - 5:58 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Tisca Chopra’s last big screen performance, playing child star Darsheel Safary’s mother in the Aamir Khan-directed hit film Taare Zameen Par (2007 ), was well received by audiences and critics alike. Her next film Firaaq is all set to hit theaters on March 20. The movie deals with the 2002 Gujarat riots. Lets find out what the talented actress have to tells about her upcoming flick.
Q. Tell us something about Firaaq?
A. It is a bold and strong tale about our recent history and the trauma that lives went through in the aftermath of the tragedy in Gujrat.
Q. What is your role in Firaaq?
A. Very different from TZP I play a woman of my own age and more similar in values to me personally than any other character that I have played.
Q. How did you get the role of Firaaq?
A. I always get roles through standard procedures; reading for the part or auditioning. I read for the role of Anuradha Desai and Nandita thought I fit the bill.
Q. How different is this role from all your previous roles?
A. The reason for becoming an actor is to be able to live different lives. So I try to do roles as different as possible.
Q. This film is based on riots, so what kind of research work you did for your role?
A. I had to learn my lines in Gujrati, as I play a Gujrati woman and constantly keep in mind the underlying threat of the recent violence in the city, while performing.
Q. How was it working with debutant director Nandita Das?
A. Excellent I have now done three films with debutant directors like Aamir, Nandita and now my new film a comedy directed by Sharat Kataria.
Q. Talking about your co-actors, how was your working experience with Sanjay Suri and Nasseruddin Shah..?
A. Naseer Sir has taught me acting. I have done many workshops with him. It was very different to meet him on a film set and not in a workshop. I play his student in the film too. Sanjay Suri is really fun and easy to work with.
Q. Do you think this film on riots will work at the box-office?
A. What works, what doesn’t is really something one can never tell. But Nandita has made a great film that has been loved by audiences worldwide. It has won many awards in almost all festivals. So we have done our bit. I have full faith that it will be very well liked and raise many questions!!
Q. Any plans of becoming a director?
A. No, No plans yet. But again can never say.
Q. Apart from Firaaq, what are your forthcoming films..?
A. A comedy by the makers of Bheja Fry and a guest appearance in Vinay Shuklas’s film ‘MIRCH’.
Dhanashri Kulkarni / Sampurn Media
- Films have power to threaten subtly: Nandita Das - Apr 12, 2011
- I aim to bring powerful subjects on screen: Nandita Das - Apr 22, 2011
- Nandita Das In Kolkata To Shoot For Onir's Film - Mar 09, 2010
- Nandita Das bestowed French honour - Apr 16, 2011
- Aamir's choice of films makes Kamal Haasan happy - Jan 01, 2012
- Nandita Das To Direct Another Film - Sep 06, 2010
- Many big heroes refused to work with me: Mumtaz (Interview Part 2) - Jul 31, 2012
- Now Nandita to direct film on flesh trade - Sep 06, 2010
- I'm not interested in politics: Aamir Khan (Interview) - Jun 08, 2012
- It's start of an American movie career for me: Jean Dujardin (Interview) - Feb 29, 2012
- Nandita to direct play (Movie Snippets) - Jul 10, 2012
- Shabana, Deepti remember Jagmohan Mundhra - Sep 07, 2011
- Amole Gupte creates another Darsheel - Apr 17, 2011
- Nandita slams 'Firaaq' producers for not marketing film - Nov 25, 2009
- Bombay or Mumbai, it's the same, says Nandita (With Images) - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: aamir khan, anuradha, becoming an actor, child star, desai, different lives, film set, gujrat, gujrati, nandita das, naseer, new film, riots, safary, sanjay suri, screen performance, talented actress, three films, tisca chopra, tzp