Husain saab was an immortal personality: SRKJune 10th, 2011 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 10 (IANS) Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan has condoled the demise of legendary painter M.F. Husain by remembering him as an immortal personality. The actor regerts he coudn’t meet him for one last time and says he will always miss him.
“I have been very close to him, and I just can’t believe he is no more. I’m a big fan of his work. The walls in my house are full of his paintings. I was working very late and I got up late when I got know that Husain saab has passed away. I always believed he is an immortal personality,” Shah Rukh told NDTV.
“I really miss him. I had to go to London for holidays and they got delayed by five-six days. The first thing I used to do was to meet him. I really wish I had gone, I really wish I had met him one last time. I wish I had gone three days earlier so that I could have met him,” he added.
The 45-year-old said that when he was young, he used to follow Husain on the streets of New Delhi because of his amusing appearance.
“In a strange way, I have known Husain saab for years. When I was young and lived in Delhi, we used to follow him. He had this quirk of walking barefoot with a stick which used to amuse us as kids,” he said.
Shah Rukh says when he came to Mumbai, he had the honour of working with Husain for his 2001 film “Asoka”. “Very sweetly he made seven paintings for me. Then I met him quite a few times when he was making paintings of Madhuri Dixit. He had outstanding energy,” Shah Rukh added.
Husain, who rose from painting cinema hoardings to becoming one of the world’s most celebrated artists, died in a London hospital early Thursday at the age of 95.
Shah Rukh he had pleasure of painting with Husain, hailed as the Picasso of India.
“Recently I had been meeting him a lot, bumping into him in London. I had some great conversations with him. I also painted a painting with him… he took me and we made it together, though I was so scared that I would spoil it.
“The last time I met him, it was few months back. I didn’t ask him for a painting, I asked him for a paintbrush and few days back I was talking to my wife that I should get it signed by him,” he said.
- For M.F. Husain, Shahnaz Husain was empress Noor Jahan (With Images) - Jul 03, 2011
- From billboards to Madhuri: Husain's love affair with cinema - Jun 09, 2011
- Husain was sad about not returning to India: Madhuri - Jun 11, 2011
- 'Husain's heart beat for India till the last' (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Reema Nath made Husain act in 'Mohabbat' - Jun 13, 2011
- Shameful that Husain couldn't be in homeland: Twitterati - Jun 09, 2011
- 'Husain's heart beat for India' (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Bollywood remembers 'immortal' Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- Husain was a true lover of India: Shabana - Jun 11, 2011
- He was India's most secular artist: Nepal curator - Jun 10, 2011
- Police officer elated after getting vehicle used by Karkare - Feb 04, 2011
- SRK interacts with Bangalore fans in Kannada - Oct 17, 2011
- 'Watching Gajagamini was ritual for Husain's guests' - Jun 29, 2011
- Did political class let down Husain? - Jun 10, 2011
- Shah Rukh was drunk, but that's not a crime: Mumbai ACP - May 17, 2012
Tags: asoka, bollywood, celebrated artists, demise, hoardings, honour, last time, legendary painter, london hospital, m f husain, madhuri dixit, ndtv, picasso, quirk, saab, shah rukh khan, six days, strange way, streets of new delhi, work the walls