Hugh Jackman supports Madonna’s adoption bidApril 30th, 2009 - 2:06 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 30 (ANI): Australian actor Hugh Jackman has come out in support of pop queen Madonna after her bid to adopt an African girl failed.
The 40-year-old star, who himself has two adopted kids Oscar, eight, and three-year-old Ava, said he is sickened by cynics who favoured an African judge’s decision to reject Madge’s bid to adopt four-year-old baby girl Mercy James earlier this month.
“I challenge anyone who thinks you adopt a kid for a publicity stunt,” the Sun quoted Jackman as saying.
“Anyone parent knows that would have to be the most intensive publicity stunt in the world. I am sure she is coming from a good place,” he added.
The X-men star admits that he can understand the Material Girl’s desire to adopt as he and wife Deborra-Lee’s wish to adopt a child from Asia or Africa was crushed under stringent Aussie rules.
“The adoption laws in Australia are too restrictive. Of course, checks need to be made. But they had a very negative approach,” Jackman said.
“It was like they were trying to discourage you.
“There are 130million orphans in the world - who is looking after them? If you are a citizen of the world, on some level they are all our responsibility.
“And if you have got parents who want to adopt and there are children who need a home, it seems like a no-brainer.
“There are not that many children in Australia who need adopting, so we looked internationally and that is what is difficult,” he added.
Jackman and wife Deborra-Lee kids adopted their kids from America. (ANI)
- Hugh Jackman supports Madonna - May 07, 2009
- Lilly a good kisser: Hugh Jackman - Sep 30, 2011
- Hugh Jackman planning to adopt again - May 13, 2009
- Hugh Jackman's son finds him embarrassing - Sep 05, 2011
- Hugh Jackman reconciles with mother - Nov 21, 2009
- Hugh Jackman walks in his sleep - Apr 30, 2011
- Hugh Jackman continues training despite injuries - Dec 30, 2010
- Jackman urges fans to donate for Africa famine relief - Sep 03, 2011
- Deborra-Lee Furness is first star to be celebrated on 'This is Your Life' - Feb 22, 2011
- Is Hugh Jackman house hunting in Melbourne? - Jan 01, 2011
- Hugh Jackman house hunting in Melbourne - Jan 02, 2011
- Hugh Jackman says his decision to adopt multi-racial kids was no brainer - Feb 25, 2009
- Hugh Jackman fears his fame might spoil his kids - Apr 20, 2009
- Hugh Jackman is '2009 Father of the Year' - Jun 22, 2009
- Shah Rukh, Hugh Jackman's 'Dhak Dhak' moment - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: actor hugh jackman, adoption laws, african girl, aussie rules, australian actor, ava, brainer, citizen of the world, cynics, hugh jackman, madonna, material girl, mercy james, negative approach, old baby girl, old star, orphans, pop queen, publicity stunt, x men