Howzzat! Rani takes cricketing lessonsJune 15th, 2008 - 9:15 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, June 15 (IANS) After playing an angel in “Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic”, actress Rani Mukerji is all set to do another unconventional role - she plays a cricketer in Yash Raj Films’ next venture and is busy practising on the field! “I don’t know if any actress has played a cricketer before. But I’m playing one for sure. In fact, I’ve been learning cricket regularly on the field for the past two months. I can most certainly play the game convincingly now, though not as good as professionals yet. It’s a very big challenge for me,” Rani told IANS from her swanky new home here.
So is she equipped to join the Indian Premier League now (IPL) now?
“I don’t know about that. But I’m definitely enjoying it. My practical sessions are on in full swing.”
She will also for the first time be paired opposite Shahid Kapur in the film that will be directed by debutant Anurag Singh.
Rani says she is hungry for new roles. “At this stage of my career I feel I need new challenges. When Kunal Kohli offered me an angel’s role, I was kicked. I don’t now of any actress who has played an angel before.
“Also, for the first time I was playing a character who couldn’t cry. Now they can stop saying Rani cries so much in all her films. It was pretty cool to play a character who actually doesn’t know how to cry and who had to fly around like Hrithik (Roshan) in ‘Krrish’.”
Being suspended on a harness, she says, was not easy.
“It required a lot of physical strength to assume the correct ‘flying’ posture on the harness. I guess it’d be equally difficult for me to look convincing as a cricketer. But I’m glad to be doing work with challenges.”
So is she ok working with a first-time director?
“It isn’t as if I haven’t worked with new directors before. I was in Shaad Ali’s first film ‘Saathiya’, remember? And Kunal Kohli started his career with me in ‘Mujhse Dosti Karoge’,” she quipped.
After an angel and a cricketer what would Rani like to play?
“Maybe an astronaut like Kalpana Chawla. And I’d also love to play a doctor. I’ve never done that before. Come to think of it I’ve never worked with Shahid Kapur before either. I’m doing so now.”
Isn’t there a danger of her being branded a resident Yash Raj heroine since all her recent films have been with that banner alone?
“Why? Wasn’t ‘Saawariya’ with Sanjay Leela Bhansali? And if Yash Raj is making some of the best films in our country why should I keep out just because people are talking?
“Incidentally, my marriage date Feb 10 (as reported by some media) has come and gone. Would mediapersons like to set another date for me so I can start getting my trousseau ready?”
- Actors are like beggars: Rani Mukerji (Interview) - Dec 25, 2010
- I always try to create interesting onscreen couples: Kunal Kohli - Nov 25, 2010
- Priyanka plays happy actress in Kunal Kohli's film - Dec 31, 2011
- Mohit Suri hunting for girlfriend? (Movie Snippets) - Jul 03, 2011
- Shruti comes into her own with '3': Kamal Haasan - Apr 03, 2012
- Sanjay Gupta upset with award mess - Jan 19, 2012
- Priyanka urges people to watch cousin's 'Ishaqzaade' - Apr 08, 2012
- Anushka and I are very good friends: Ranveer Singh - Dec 22, 2010
- Success more dangerous than failure: Shahid Kapoor (Interview) - May 20, 2012
- 'Har Pal' set for summer release, Preity ready to promote it - Jan 16, 2012
- Imran-Deepika in Break Ke Baad - Jan 07, 2010
- Minogue wants to be an actor again - Jun 09, 2012
- Johar recalls 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai' premiere (Movie Snippets) - Oct 16, 2011
- I suggest girls try their hand at cricket: Rani Mukerji (Interview) - Sep 18, 2009
- Neil Nitin Mukesh loses his iPhone! (Movie Snippets) - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: actress, anurag singh, challenges, cricket, cricketer, dosti karoge, first time director, full swing, hrithik roshan, krrish, mumbai, physical strength, posture, premier league, rani mukerji, sessions, shaad ali, subhash k jha, unconventional role, yash raj films