How to predict who will win the OscarMarch 6th, 2010 - 4:16 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 6 (ANI): While the Best Actor and Actress nominees at the Oscars are preparing to look exceptional for the red carpet, many similarities have been noticed among the winners of the coveted trophy in all these years.
BBC has predicted what type of winner usually takes home the golden statuette.
Researchers conducted an in-depth study of best actor and actress winners over the past 81 years.
And they concluded that the average age of Best Actor winners is 44, almost 10 years older than the average for female winners at 36 years of age.
They found that the gender gap widens when one looks at the proportion of winners aged over 40 - 63 percent for men, whereas only 26 percent of winning women in the leading role category are beyond 40.
The Academy boasts a history to vote for Americans, and following closely are British thespians who fare better than all other nationalities combined-20 percent of male winners and 18 percent of female winners hail from the UK.
Only one non-white woman has picked up the Best Actress gong in the award’s history - Halle Berry, for ‘Monster’s Ball’, while among male winners, 93 percent have been white.
The Academy tends to favour younger women, but younger actors are under-represented-Adrien Brody being the only leading male winner aged under 30, who picked up his Oscar for ‘The Pianist’ at 29 years of age.
But 27 women have picked up the Best Actress gong while in their 20s, which makes up 33 percent of the female winners.
And there’s one genre that tops the list for both sexes- 49 percent of female winners and 28 percent of male winners starred in romance films.
Women who act in thrillers are generally well received by the Academy’s voters, and the same goes for men who take the lead in war films.
Academy’s voters even give preference to actors playing a character with physical, mental or auditory/visual disabilities. (ANI)
- 'The Pianist' changed Brody - Jul 09, 2012
- Germany's cross-eyed possum predicts top Oscar winners - Feb 24, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' big winner of Oscar evening - Feb 28, 2011
- 'The Artist' bags maximum Golden Globe gongs (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
- Adrien Brody To Play High School Teacher In Detachment - Aug 11, 2010
- Adrien Brody survived freezing night outdoors eating bugs for new role - Sep 22, 2010
- Top honours crown 'The King's Speech' at 83rd Oscars (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2011
- 'The Artist', 'Hugo' in tie with five Oscars each (Roundup) - Feb 27, 2012
- Oscar statuettes sold for $3 mn in auction - Feb 29, 2012
- Melbourne thriller 'Animal Kingdom' sweeps AFI awards - Dec 12, 2010
- Adrien Brody found spirituality in India - Aug 02, 2010
- Heidi the cross-eyed opossum backs Natalie Portman - Feb 24, 2011
- Keep smiling to look young - Nov 11, 2011
- 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara' leads IIFA nominations - May 04, 2012
- Oscar win for Best Actress ups divorce risk: Study - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: actor and actress, actress gong, actress nominees, adrien brody, best actor, best actress, gender gap, male winner, nationalities, oscar london, red carpet, romance films, statuette, thespians, visual disabilities, war films, white woman, who will win the oscar, younger actors, younger women