Homosexual Holmes, Watson in sequel?January 4th, 2010 - 12:43 am ICT by IANS
London, Jan 3 (IANS) Hollywood actor Robert Downey, Jr., who plays the lead in British filmmaker Ritchie’s new movie adaption, has hinted at a homo erotic twist between his character and sidekick Dr. Watson in a seqeul to the movie.
The executors of the character’ creator Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s literary estate are however miffed at the plan and have threatened to withdraw Ritchie’s rights to the “Sherlock Holmes” story if the director hints at a homosexual relationship between the lead characters in his sequel, reports contactmusic.com.
Downey, Jr., who plays the super sleuth in the new movie adaption, recently appeared on David Letterman’s US talk show and hinted at a same sex subtext in the relationship between his character and Jude Law’s Dr. Watson in the second outing.
During the interview the actor also asked the audience to decide whether Holmes is “a very butch homosexual”.
But Downey, Jr.’s comments have infuriated Andrea Plunket, who controls the remaining US copyrights to the Holmes stories, and she’s threatened to withdraw permission for a follow-up if Ritchie suggests the detective is more than just friends with his sidekick.
“I hope this is just an example of Mr. Downey’s black sense of humour. It would be drastic, but I would withdraw permission for more films to be made if they feel that is a theme they wish to bring out in the future. I am not hostile to homosexuals, but I am to anyone who is not true to the spirit of the books,” she said.
- Making Sherlock Holmes gay could land Guy Ritchie in trouble - Aug 04, 2009
- Jude Law talks about Sherlock Holmes - May 07, 2009
- 'Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows' predictable, but witty and intelligent (IANS Movie Review) - Dec 30, 2011
- Jude Law fascinated at rediscovering 'Sherlock Holmes' - Jan 01, 2010
- Sherlock Holmes sequel a 'Bromance' - Nov 17, 2011
- 'Sherlock Holmes' was grumpy: Downey Jr. - Aug 29, 2011
- Guy Ritchie to portray gay relationship between Sherlock Holmes,Watson - Aug 05, 2009
- Jude Law didn't know anything about Sherlock Holmes! - Jan 06, 2010
- Jude Law "happy" to play reinvented Dr Watson in 'Sherlock Holmes' - Dec 24, 2009
- Guy Ritchies Sherlock Holmes will be gay - Feb 22, 2009
- Downey Jr. to play drug detective in 'Inherent Vice' - Feb 22, 2011
- Rachel happy after revisiting her role in 'Sherlock Holmes 2' - May 18, 2011
- 'Sherlock Holmes' sequel in pipeline? - Sep 23, 2009
- Sherlock Holmes Sequel To Release In December 2011 - May 29, 2010
- Jared Harris terrifies Robert Downey Jr - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: actor robert, adaption, arthur conan doyle, british filmmaker, character creator, david letterman, dr watson, executors, hollywood actor, homosexual relationship, jude law, london jan, plunket, robert downey, robert downey jr, sense of humour, sherlock holmes story, sir arthur conan, sir arthur conan doyle, super sleuth