Hollywood stars’ growing criticism of ObamaDecember 17th, 2010 - 6:45 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 17 (ANI): It seems President of the United States Barrack Obama is not a favourite with Hollywood singers and actors, with most saying they are not happy with him.
One such star is singer Barbra Streisand, 68, who was asked if she was disappointed in Obama.
“At first, maybe a little, because I would have liked to have him use his executive privilege to, if that’s possible legally, to get rid of something like ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’,” Fox News quoted her as telling CNN’s Larry King.
“I think people admire real strength, even though it’s misguided,” she stated.
But it’s Obama’s stance on gay issues that seems to really get the Hollywood crowd going.
‘Glee’s’ Jane Lynch railed against the president’s stance on gay marriage earlier this year (Obama’s opposed to it, but supports something like civil unions).
“Shouldn’t there be safeguards against the majority voting on the rights of a minority? If people voted on civil rights in the ’60s, it would have never happened,” Lynch told Britain’s the Guardian.
“It took somebody like [President] Lyndon Johnson going, ‘F all of you! I’m going to do this.’ Obama won’t do it. He’s a huge disappointment to me,” she added.
Many in Hollywood of course still support and praise the president, but the chorus of critics seems to be increasing. (ANI)
- Glee star Lea Michelle wants Barbra Streisand's role - Feb 16, 2011
- Obama remembers Donna Summer - May 20, 2012
- Obama gets Hollywood backing at star-studded event - May 12, 2012
- Jane Lynch Says America's Not Ready for Gay Leading Roles - Jan 15, 2011
- The American Century Theatre presented 'One Night with Fanny Brice' in Arlington - Nov 28, 2010
- Barbra Streisand still battles stage fright - Nov 18, 2010
- Cole to do a cameo in 'Glee' - Jul 04, 2012
- Obama endorses gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Obama's popularity among Hollywood supporters takes a hit - Sep 09, 2010
- Jennifer Aniston poses as Barbra Streisand for magazine - Aug 05, 2010
- Hollywood stars feature on the guest list of the Chinese state dinner - Jan 20, 2011
- Obama supports same-sex marriage (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Shakira wants to use her voice to help others - May 01, 2011
- I was terrible: Jane Lynch - Sep 23, 2011
- Portman supports gay marriage - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: barbra streisand, barrack obama, civil rights in the 60s, civil unions, cnn, disappointment, executive privilege, fox news, gay issues, gay marriage, glee, guardian, hollywood stars, jane lynch, larry king, lyndon johnson, president lyndon johnson, president of the united states, safeguards, singers