‘HOLLYWOOD’ sign set to vanish from sight - for a dayFebruary 11th, 2010 - 3:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, February 11 (ANI): The famous Hollywood sign in Los Angeles is set to vanish from sight - for a day.
A group of conservationists were said to have bagged a legal bid to save the hill from developers.
The planned on surprising residents by draping a sign reading “Save The Peak” on the icon, erected in 1923.
But LA police sent a “community announcement email” to inform the public over the stunt.
“On February 11, 2010, the Hollywood sign will be covered up for an international campaign. The sign will be covered until further notice. Do not be alarmed, the sign will remain in place and there will be no changes done to the sign,” Sky News quoted the e-mail as saying.
TPL director Sam Hodder said: “The Hollywood Sign is one of America’s iconic views and that view would be ruined forever if estates are built behind it.”
LA city councillor Tom LaBonge added: “Every day, I see tourists posing for snapshots just below the sign. We want to acquire this land, not only to maintain the view of the Hollywood Sign, but also to preserve open space, hiking trails and wildlife corridors for the future health of our great city.” (ANI)
- Hollywood Sign To Vanish? - Feb 10, 2010
- Hollywood sign still at demolition risk - Mar 26, 2010
- Hollywood sign atop the hill could be a thing of the past - Feb 10, 2010
- Hanks, Spielberg lead campaign to save Hollywood sign - Apr 26, 2010
- Playboy Baron saves Hollywood, again - Apr 27, 2010
- Campaigners close to save the Hollywood sign - Apr 14, 2010
- Hollywood sign to be turned into a luxury hotel - May 11, 2010
- Hugh Hefner Prevents Demolition Of Hollywood Sign By Donating $900,000 - Apr 27, 2010
- Italian politician jumps to death - May 09, 2012
- Iconic Hollywood sign threatened by private development - Feb 16, 2008
- Russian mosque has world's largest Quran - Feb 18, 2012
- David Beckham to design long johns - Sep 23, 2011
- Dust, vanishing greenery threaten Taj - Apr 19, 2010
- 10 coral species may vanish within 50 years - Jan 12, 2011
- Puerto Rican musician Yomo Toro dies - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: city councillor, community announcement, conservationists, developers, e mail, further notice, future health, hiking trails, hodder, hollywood, hollywood sign, international campaign, london, open space, sky news, snapshots, tom labonge, tourists, wildlife corridors