Hollywood project gave me fresh perspective: Bipasha Basu (Interview)April 3rd, 2011 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 3 (IANS) Bengali beauty Bipasha Basu has completed a decade in the Hindi film industry and donned numerous roles, but her forthcoming international venture “Singularity” , she says, gave her a fresh perspective towards acting.
” ‘Singularity’ has been a fantastic experience because I have been in the film industry for a long time now. But this film gave me a completely fresh take towards acting,” the 32-year-old actress told IANS in an interview.
“It just introduced me to a new kind of acting, new kind of cinema, which for an artist is great,” she added.
Bipasha stars as a Maratha warrior in the period film that is being helmed by Oscar-nominated filmmaker Roland Joffe. It also stars Hollywood star Josh Hartnett.
“My role is that of a Maratha warrior and the backdrop of the film is the Anglo-Maratha war in 18th-century colonial India. It’s basically the love story between a British soldier and this Maratha queen that is played by me,” she revealed.
The actress, who has worked in films like “Ajnabee”, “Apaharan”, “Corporate”, “Race” and “Bachna Ae Haseeno”, among others, said “Singularity” just fell into her lap.
“Any actor would give an arm to work with Joffe and for me it happened so easily. I kind of bumped into him and he just loved my voice and cast me in the lead role,” Bipasha said.
“I was in Los Angeles and I just happened to say hello to him because a friend of mine knew him and I was there for a meeting. So for me this role just fell into my lap,” she added.
Bipasha has always been known for fitness and her perfect 10 body. Because of her fitness levels, the actress was itching to do an action role and her dream came true with “Singularity” and another forthcoming film “Players”.
“Yes, I was looking forward to doing action roles and I’m so glad that I got an opportunity to do that in not one but two of my films. I’m looking forward to both,” said the ex-model.
Bipasha will be seen in many much-awaited films this year. So would she call 2011 a very exciting and productive year for her?
“Every year has been very exciting for me. There has been a little bit of re-invention that I do as an artist every time because our business is very harsh,” the actress said.
“There are a number of fears. If the screen presence of female actors is longer, people tend to get a little harsh on you but thankfully with me people have been very appreciable,” she added.
“Every year, I project myself and re-invent myself as an artist. I don’t let any staleness creep into me and even as an artist, I think that’s exciting for me,” she added.
Along with “Singularity” and “Players”, Bipasha will also be seen in “Dum Maaro Dum”, which will be her first release for the year.
(Ruchika Kher can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Reach of Indian cinema huge: Bipasha - May 15, 2012
- Bipasha wants Atif to sing just for her (Movie Snippets) - Nov 26, 2010
- Bipasha Basu: Explore The Maratha Bodyguard In Her! - Dec 03, 2010
- Bipasha bags her first Hollywood project - Oct 31, 2010
- Bipasha sports demure look for international debut - Nov 30, 2010
- All's well between John and me: Bipasha Basu - Jan 19, 2011
- Who's likely to head to Cannes from B-Town? - Apr 07, 2012
- Hollywood has no hierarchy like Bollywood: Bipasha - Dec 27, 2011
- Bipasha And Abhay's International Debut In 'Singularity' - Nov 02, 2010
- Dharam Bollywood hottie at 75: Shobhaa De (Movie Snippets) - Dec 08, 2010
- 'Raaz 3' was tough for Bipasha - May 04, 2012
- Link-up rumours part of our business: Bipasha Basu (With Images) - May 02, 2011
- Looking forward to work with Kabir again: Katrina Kaif (Movie Snippets) - May 08, 2011
- Bipasha meets Jeremy Piven in London - Jun 21, 2012
- Bipasha helped me a lot: Rana Daggubati - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: 18th century, actress, backdrop, bengali, bipasha basu, british soldier, colonial india, decade, filmmaker, fitness levels, forthcoming film, hindi film industry, hollywood star, international venture, josh hartnett, lead role, love story, period film, roland, singularity