H&M defends ‘Girl with Dragon Tattoo’ fashion lineDecember 15th, 2011 - 8:54 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Dec 15 (THAINDIAN NEWS) H&M’s Girl with Dragon Tattoo collection has been accused of glamorizing rape. British blogger and journalist Natalie Karneef spoke about the clothing line on her recent blog post.
Natalie is a rape victim and in her post accused the clothing line which was released last month of glamorizing the violence. Natalie wrote that “Sexual violence is an epidemic. Putting a chic, consumerist finish on it glosses over the lives it destroys and the spirits it breaks.” She challenged H&M to donate to organizations involved in preventing and helping rape victims if that is what they claim to be interested in.
H&M has released a statement on Fashionista denying that he meant any harm with the release of the clothing line. The statement said that, “We do not view this collection as provocative - it contains pieces that are staples in many people’s wardrobes: jeans, biker jackets and t-shirts. It’s all about how you wear them. We encourage our customers to find their own personal way to wear our products.”
The clothing line which was released in Paris last month is based the rape story of Swedish author Stieg Larsson. The late writer said she decided to write the story because she witnessed a gang rape at the age of 15 years.
- David Beckham designs men's underwear - Jul 28, 2011
- Versace teams up with H&M; - Jun 22, 2011
- Umair Zafar's Honeymoon and bridal beach wear out in stores! - Jan 28, 2010
- Saris with a twist by Kiran Uttam Ghosh (With Images) - Jan 14, 2012
- Designer mixes Persian prints with punk look - Aug 20, 2011
- Pregnant Jessica Simpson raises concern when she was spotted wearing platform heels - Mar 01, 2012
- Beyonce mixes glam and grunge in new ad for her fashion line - Aug 13, 2010
- Natalie Portman rubbishes 'Dragon Tattoo' movie rumours - Jul 27, 2010
- Go for stylish holiday wear this summer (With Image) - Mar 29, 2012
- Rita Ora plans fashion debut - Aug 10, 2012
- Designer duo Anjalee, Arjun's new collection spells romance (With Image) - Apr 22, 2011
- Rooney Mara Comes Into View On 'W' With Makeover For Her Character Of Lisbeth Salander In 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' - Jan 13, 2011
- Kristen Dunst's French love - Aug 29, 2012
- Indian couture all about bridal wear: Manish Arora (With Image) - Aug 11, 2012
- Manish Malhotra to promote Indian crafts, craftsmen at LFW - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: blogger, clothing line, dragon, dragon tattoo, epidemic, fashion line, fashionista, gang rape, jeans, journalist, natalie, rape story, rape victim, rape victims, sexual violence, spirits, staples, stieg larsson, swedish author, wardrobes