Hip-hop rules in ‘Money Hai Toh Honey Hai’ (Music Review)July 21st, 2008 - 11:51 am ICT by IANS
By Meghna Menon
Film: “Money Hai Toh Honey Hai”; Music Composer: Nitin Arora and Sony Chandy; Lyrics: Sameer; Singers: Adnan Sami, Nitin Arora, Sony Chandy, Harshdeep Kaur, Shruti Pathak, Bob, Ishq Bector, Shantanu Hudlikar, Arya, Labh Janjua, Sunidhi Chauhan, Earl, Kunal Ganjawala, Rekha Bharadwaj, Daler Mehndi, Saleem, Suraj Jagan, Shaan; Rating: ** Composers Nitin Arora and Sony Chandy have composed an album for the comic caper “Money Hai Toh Honey Hai” that is dominated by hip-hop.
Title track “Money hai toh honey hai” is a mix of hip-hop, electronic music and tinges of Chinese sounds. The composer duo joins Harshdeep Kaur for the rendition. Since the song is quite a concoction with Sameer’s bizarre lyrics, its popularity is doubtful.
With “Awaara dil”, we move on to an unconventional, hip-hop number. Rendered by a horde of singers - Adnan Sami, Shruti Pathak, Bob, Ishq Bector, Shantanu Hudlika, Nitz ‘N’ Sony and Arya - the song moves at a steady pace. Sameer’s peppy lyrics gel with the arrangements that are kept thumping and a lot of rap is thrown in as well.
“Churiyaan” doesn’t waver much from the genre except for mixing hip-hop with a bit of Sufi. Sunidhi Chauhan and Labh Janjua croon this romantic piece pretty well that has Sameer’s average lyrics. The arrangements are an easy mix between the two genres and thankfully do not result in a major chaos.
Next “Ta na na” is more of a dance number, with Nitin, Sony, Earl and Arya joining lead singers Kunal Ganjawala and Rekha Bharadwaj.
“Rangeeli raat” stops the hip-hop chain. The loud track, revolving around a grand celebration, has the quintessential, blaring instruments tossed in and, to top it all, it has the piercing vocals of Daler Mehendi. Sunidhi Chauhan, Saleem and Arya join him, but they don’t complement him. The number ends up being a complete mess.
Changing the genre once again, Nitin and Sony move on to rock for “No big deal”. And this time, they get one of the ideal rock gurus Suraj Jagan for the rendition. The track has chances of doing well.
“Dance master” is not so appealing and can easily be skipped. Although drummer Sivamani collaborates with singer Shaan, this does not work out in either one’s favour as both the music and the arrangements have a very dead feel to them.
Finally, instrumentals take over the reins with “Hope”. The track is an instrumental piece on the lines of “No big deal” and includes a couple of soulful and harmonious instruments that make the entire package notable. A must-listen.
“Money…” is an album without your typical Bollywood music. Even though the experimentation works out well for the new composers, it is too soon to say how it will work out for the makers of the movie.
- Fun elements make 'Band Baaja Baaraat' an entertainer album (IANS Music Review) - Nov 10, 2010
- Indian idioms for free-style western performances? The debate grows (Lifestyle Feature) (With Images) - Jun 29, 2012
- 'Khatta Meetha' not a music lover's delight (IANS Music Review) - Jun 23, 2010
- 'Cocktail' soundtrack youthful, delectable mix of sounds (IANS music review) - Jun 20, 2012
- 'Dum Maaro Dum' music offers variety (IANS Music Review) - Mar 21, 2011
- Bhansali's musical debut with 'Guzaarish' is soul-stirring (IANS Music Review) - Oct 20, 2010
- 'Kajraare' music an overdose of Himesh Reshammiya (IANS Music Review) - Jun 07, 2010
- Instrumental tunes save 'Joker' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- Top 10 Bollywood songs (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 23, 2010
- Lack of freshness in 'Always Kabhi Kabhi' album (IANS Music Review) - May 22, 2011
- Love songs rule 'Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji' album (IANS Music Review) - Dec 29, 2010
- Nothing extraordinary about 'Tum Milo...' music (IANS Music Review) - Mar 14, 2010
- 'Allah Ke Banday' offers entertaining songs for all (IANS Music Review) - Oct 07, 2010
- Experience magic of 1980s with 'Housefull' music (IANS Music Review) - Mar 27, 2010
- Jazz musicians in Delhi mix new sounds with new venues (Feature) (With images) - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: adnan sami, arya, bharadwaj, chandy, chinese sounds, comic caper, daler mehndi, grand celebration, ishq bector, jagan, kunal ganjawala, labh janjua, mehendi, romantic piece, shaan, shantanu, shruti, steady pace, sunidhi chauhan, track money