Hip-hop artist DJ Drama loves tandoori chicken, samosasJuly 9th, 2010 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 9 (IANS) American hip-hop artist Tyree Cinque Simmons, popularly known as DJ Drama, has been enjoying Indian delicacies since childhood and says tandoori chicken and samosas are among his favourites.
“I have family members who have visited India before and I have been a big fan of Indian food since I was a kid. Almost every weekend we used to have Indian food - be it tandoori chicken, chicken saag, lamb curry, samosas etc,” Drama told IANS when he was here as part of fourth edition of Tuborg Vh1 Hip Hop Hustle.
Drama insists Bollywood movies helped him in learning a little about Indian culture.
“Bollywood has been getting lot of attention around the world including the States (US) and is also making into the mainstream newspapers frequently. It is indeed playing an important part in spreading the Indian culture. Whatever little I know about India is through Bollywood,” said Drama.
The musician also revealed his desire to collaborate with Oscar winning music composer A.R. Rahman.
“I would love to work with A.R. Rahman. He is a superbly talented human being and I loved his music in ‘Slumdog Millionaire’,” said Drama who is keen to collaborate with Indian composer.
“Because I didn’t get a chance to meet the Indian composers during this trip, I plan to come again to talk to them about collaboration,” he added.
During his three-day visit June 24 to June 26, the 32-year-old, who has played with likes of Akon, Snoop Dogg and Lil Wayne, visited Mumbai, New Delhi and Hyderabad. He was delighted to see the response he received from people while performing in India.
“People were crazy. It was really nice to see the way they enjoyed the music. This shows that hip hop culture is slowly catching up in India,” he said.
- T-Pain to perform in India next week - Jun 12, 2011
- Lucky Lou overwhelmed by Delhi response (With Images) - Jul 07, 2012
- Indian idioms for free-style western performances? The debate grows (Lifestyle Feature) (With Images) - Jun 29, 2012
- Why sing in English: Honey Singh - May 08, 2012
- Bollywood has massive audience in world: Apache Indian (Interview) - Mar 08, 2011
- 'Jai ho' Rahman at Golden Globe nominations again (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Rahman's 'Sajna' in Michael Bolton' album - May 10, 2011
- It's sad to see pop music dying: Raghav - Oct 20, 2010
- Working in India changed my approach towards music: Wayne Sharpe (Interview) (With Image) - Jul 31, 2011
- New Bollywood hybrid music coming: Canadian composer - Aug 13, 2011
- Rahman loses out on Globe Globe (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Shanghai' music rooted in Indian street music: Composer - Jun 10, 2012
- Rahman loses BAFTA - Feb 14, 2011
- Akshay Kumar Ropes In Hip Hop Sensation Ludacris For The Music Video Of Breakaway - Nov 01, 2010
- CWG lyricist fights criticism, says not reworking song - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: chicken chicken, chicken saag, composers, dj drama, hip hop artist, hip hop culture, hyderabad, indian culture, indian delicacies, indian food, lamb curry, lil wayne, mainstream newspapers, mumbai, music composer, New Delhi, snoop dogg, tuborg, vh1, winning music