Hindus & Jews want restructuring of prayers at UK ParliamentMarch 31st, 2009 - 9:55 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
Hindus and Jews have asked the United Kingdom to re-evaluate the matrix of opening prayers in its Parliament, which probably date back from 17th century.
Rajan Zed, acclaimed Hindu statesman; and Rabbi Jonathan B. Freirich, prominent Jewish leader in Nevada and California in USA; in a joint statement, stressed that either these prayers should be more universal in nature encompassing various religions or leaders of various faiths should take turns to read their prayers.
Zed and Freirich said that Parliament was the representative body of all people of United Kingdom, who besides various denominations of Christianity, now included substantial number of Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Jews, Neopagans, Buddhists, Bahais, etc., in addition to a considerable number of non-believers and Jedi Knights. Prayers in Parliament should also reflect and respect these demographics.
The practice of prayers, which “follow the Christian faith”, started in about 1558 and the present form of prayers probably dates from the reign of Charles II (1660-1685). Members of the public are not allowed into the public galleries during prayers.
In the House of Commons, Speaker’s Chaplain usually reads the prayers, which talk of “…laying aside all private interests and prejudices keep in mind their responsibility to seek to improve the condition of all mankind…”
In the House of Lords, a senior Bishop (Lord Spiritual) who sits in the Lords usually reads the prayers. The text of the Prayers includes the words “…laying aside all private interests, prejudices, and partial affections…”. MPs and Peers stand for prayers facing the wall behind them, “due to the difficulty Members would historically have faced of kneeling to pray while wearing a sword”.
Rajan Zed and Rabbi Jonathan B. Freirich argued that although they prayed regularly to “improve the condition of all mankind” and “laying aside all…prejudices”, yet their prayers reflected only a section of the public and not the society in its entirety.
Zed, who is president of Universal Society of Hinduism, said that presence of different religions was an evident symbol of God’s generosity and munificence. We should quest for a unity that hailed diversity,
The origins of Parliament, which now has 1,388 members and is located in London, goes back to 12th century. Its main roles include examining/challenging the work of the government, debating/ passing laws, and enabling the government to raise taxes. Baroness Hayman is Speaker of House of Lords, while Michael Martin is Speaker of House of Commons. -Sampurn Media
- Hindus and Jews critical of Romania proposal of renaming "Roma" as "Tsigan" - Dec 14, 2010
- Hindus and Jews ask EU & UN to halt France's racism engulfed Roma maltreatment - Aug 14, 2010
- Hindus and Jews seek Romanian Church Patriarch's help to end Roma apartheid - Dec 28, 2010
- Hindus & Jews ask Pope to tell Sarkozy that Roma maltreatment is not acceptable - Sep 21, 2010
- Miley Cyrus asked to raise Gypsy apartheid issue on her "Gypsy Heart" tour - Apr 24, 2011
- Hindus & Jews concerned at Pope's silence on Roma deportations in Europe - Aug 04, 2010
- Hindus & Jews ask upcoming Hungarian EU Presidency to end European Roma apartheid - Dec 21, 2010
- Hindus, Jews Ask Pope to Abandon Double Standards on Roma Apartheid - Jan 17, 2011
- Hindus & Jews concerned at dismantling plan of Roma settlements in Rome - Sep 04, 2010
- Hindus & Jews term Roma deportations from European countries as "blatant apartheid" - Aug 01, 2010
- Hindus & Jews want sanctions against France on Roma maltreatment - Aug 27, 2010
- Hindus & Jews want urgent solution to hike in global food prices - Sep 07, 2010
- Hindus & Jews criticize Helsinki for Roma eviction - Aug 12, 2010
- Hindus and Jews laud Sweden for "white book" on Roma maltreatment and ask Europe to follow - Feb 01, 2011
- Hindus and Jews ask Miley Cyrus to raise Gypsy apartheid issue on her "Gypsy Heart" tour - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: 1660 1685, bahais, buddhists, charles ii, christian faith, denominations of christianity, facing the wall, freirich, hindu statesman, hindus, house of lords, jedi knights, jewish leader, lord spiritual, opening prayers, prejudices, private interests, representative body, sikhs, uk parliament