Hindus critical of attempts to regulate yoga in USASeptember 5th, 2009 - 3:46 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
Hindus have strongly criticized attempts to regulate yoga by various states in USA.
Acclaimed Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that yoga was one of the six systems of orthodox Hindu philosophy whose traces went back to around 2000 BCE. Yoga never had any formal organization and yoga practice had been handed down from one guru to the next.
Zed, who is president of Universal Society of Hinduism, further said that yoga, referred as “a living fossil”, was mentioned in ancient Hindu scriptures Upanishads and Bhagavad-Gita. The Bhagavad-Gita, one of the most popular Hindu scripture, was considered a comprehensive yoga-sastra (treatise on yoga). Mahabharata, also an ancient Hindu scripture, said that one unconversant with yoga could never have happiness while Yogabija Upanishad pointed out that one became liberated from bondage only through yoga. Why to regulate such a liberation powerhouse, Zed asked.
Rajan Zed stressed that yoga was a mental and physical discipline by means of which the human-soul (jivatman) united with universal-soul (parmatman). Some sages had described yoga as the silencing of all mental transformations, which lead to the total realization of the Supreme Self. Some had used yoga attempting to gain liberation by removing all sensory barriers. For Patanjali, author of the basic text, the Yoga Sutra, yoga was a methodical effort to attain perfection, through the control of the different elements of human nature, physical and psychical.
Yoga was the repository of something basic in the human soul and psyche and regulating it was kind of a religious infringement, Zed added.
About 16 million Americans, including many celebrities, are said to practice yoga.
- Hindus critical of Connecticut yoga tax proposal - Feb 18, 2011
- Hindus critical of attempts to regulate yoga - Nov 04, 2009
- Hindus commend Washington DC Council for saying no to yoga tax - Jul 07, 2010
- Hindus welcome endorsement of yoga in a Catholic publication - Aug 23, 2010
- Hindus welcome Catholics to yoga - Feb 26, 2010
- Yoga 2011 calendars depict cats, dogs and nudes performing asanas - Dec 30, 2010
- Yoga retreats becoming popular world over - Feb 27, 2011
- Hindus suggest Bethenny Frankel to go beyond 'yoga for hotter sex' & explore yoga's spiritual side - Jul 09, 2010
- Nevada Assembly in USA opened with Hindu prayer - Apr 26, 2011
- Pope's Lent message has similarities with ancient Hindu text Bhagavad-Gita - Feb 26, 2011
- Lady Gaga spent time at a Cleveland yoga studio before her sold-out performance - Jul 25, 2010
- Zed urges Hindus worldwide to take vow of charity on Akshay Tritiya - Apr 28, 2011
- Hindus worldwide urged to help needy on Mahashivratri - Feb 19, 2011
- Gayatri Mantra read at Baha'i Ridvan Festival in Nevada - May 03, 2011
- Premier Catholic University in USA offers Yoga Philosophy course - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: ancient hindu scripture, bhagavad gita, formal organization, hindu philosophy, hindu scriptures, hindu statesman, living fossil, nevada usa, physical discipline, states in usa, supreme self, sutra yoga, universal society, universal soul, upanishad, upanishads, usa today, yoga practice, yoga sutra, zed