Hindu Baccalaureate Service in a prestigious American universityApril 4th, 2009 - 11:35 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Hindu Baccalaureate Service (Dikshant Utsav), held for the first time in Western USA at prestigious University of Nevada-Reno (UNR) in May last, will be held again on April eleven next.
Organized by acclaimed Indo-American statesman Rajan Zed in collaboration with Indian Student Organization of UNR, it will bless graduating class in the traditional Hindu style according to ancient scriptures, complete with applying tilak (religious mark) on the foreheads of graduates.
Besides keynote address by Swami Vedananda, a well-known Hindu monk from California, it will also include blessing prayers by Christian (various denominations), Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish, Baha’i, and Native American religious leaders. Shanti-Shanti, the only Sanskrit rock band of the world, will deliver shlokas (hymns) from Rig-Veda (oldest scripture of the world composed around 1,500 BCE) on the occasion.. A “benediction through the medium of dance” by renowned dancer Martina Young will also be organized at this Service.
Starting with “Gayatri Mantra’ (the most sacred verse from Rig-Veda) recitation by Rajan Zed and traditional lamp lighting before the statue of goddess Saraswati, patron of learning and the arts; it will include chanting from Bhagavad-Gita and blessing the upcoming graduates with wisdom from Vedas, Upanishads and Bhagavad-Gita—all ancient Hindu scriptures.
Special certificates will be given to graduates on the occasion with the parting advice as –satyam vada (speak the truth), dharma chara (practice righteousness), matrudevo bhava (treat your mother with great respect), pitrudevo bhava (treat your father with great respect), etc.
Washoe County issued a special Resolution to mark the significance of First Annual Hindu Baccalaureate Service of UNR. Various religious, political, and educational leaders of Nevada are expected to attend this Service.
Education in Hindu tradition has been deep rooted, Rajan Zed says and adds that after many important universities in ancient India, like Taxila, Nalanda, Sarnath, Amaravati, Banaras, Kanchi and Ujjain; great Indian universities also flourished in medieval period, like Odantapura (745 AD), Vikramasila (810 AD), Somapura (480 AD), Jagaddala (1090 AD). The purpose of this Baccalaureate Service is to root the graduating class in divine spiritual and cultural tradition so that they have a spiritually meaningful life in addition to material success, Zed stresses.
The flagship institution of the state founded in 1874, UNR enrolls over 16,000 students with a total budget of about $500 million and has over 100 graduate-degree programs. It is one of the top 150 research universities in the country, whose biochemists have begun to develop genetically modified grapes. The University fields competitive teams in 18 sports.
Hinduism, oldest and third largest religion of the world, has about one billion adherents and moksha (liberation) is its ultimate goal. -Sampurn Media
- Unique Hindu Baccalaureate Service enters fourth year at Nevada University - Apr 15, 2011
- Unique Hindu Baccalaureate Service enters third year at University of Nevada - Mar 22, 2010
- American university holds unique one-of-a-kind-in-the-world Hindu Baccalaureate Service - Apr 19, 2011
- Nevada Assembly in USA opened with Hindu prayer - Apr 26, 2011
- Gayatri Mantra opened University of Nevada 'Inner-Faith Night' celebrations - Feb 25, 2011
- American university holds one-of-a-kind Hindu baccalaureate - Apr 14, 2010
- Nevada Senate in USA opens with Gayatri Mantra - Feb 16, 2011
- Religious leaders come together for Interfaith Sunrise Prayer Service for World Peace in Nevada - Sep 13, 2010
- Gayatri Mantra read at Baha'i Ridvan Festival in Nevada - May 03, 2011
- USA's 5th most populated city opens meet with Hindu prayers - Jul 08, 2010
- Visalia City Council in California has its first Hindu prayer - Aug 04, 2010
- Historic Hindu prayer opened Boulder City Council in Nevada for first time - Jun 27, 2010
- Sparks City Council in Nevada opened with Hindu shlokas - Jan 25, 2011
- Gayatri and other mantras opened Sparks City Council in Nevada - Jul 13, 2010
- Sanskrit mantras to open Yuba City Council meet in California - May 03, 2010
Tags: american statesman, ancient hindu, ancient scriptures, baccalaureate service, educational leaders, gayatri mantra, goddess saraswati, hindu monk, hindu scriptures, hindu tradition, indian student organization, indo american, keynote address, parting advice, prestigious university, renowned dancer, rig veda, special certificates, university of nevada reno, western usa