Hilary Swank criticized for going to ChechnyaOctober 12th, 2011 - 10:05 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Oct 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Oscar-winning stars Hilary Swank and Jan Claude Van Damme were in Chechnya last week for the birthday bash of the country’s leader Ramzan Kadyrov. The two have come under barrage of criticism because Ramzan is seen as a dictator.
Human rights activists are leading the chorus against the two stars for honoring the invitation to attend the party. Human Right Watch said they sent letters to the two and warned them against honoring the invitation. The organization claimed that they showed the two documentation evidence of the human right abuses that Ramzan has committed over the years.
Chechnya is one of the poorest regions in Europe but CBS News reports that violist Vanessa-Mae was paid $500,000 to perform at the party. It is believed that Van Damme and Swank were also paid in that region to be at the party.
It is a common practice for celebrities and Hollywood stars to accept money in order to grace such parties. In 2009, ousted Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi reportedly paid Mariah Carey $1 million to perform at his son’s New Year party.
The rep of Swank said she was not aware of the human abuses of Ramzan when she accepted the invitation for the party. Analysts say the two American stars have not broken any law by appearing at the party.
- Chechen leader denies having hit-list - Sep 19, 2012
- Swank regrets attending Chechen Republic President's party - Oct 14, 2011
- Three killed in militant attack on Chechen parliament - Oct 19, 2010
- Chechens not fighting in Syria: Kadyrov - Jul 23, 2012
- Boys born on late Chechen president's birthday get cash - Aug 26, 2011
- Chechnya President Kadyrov plans friendly football match against Brazil's WC heroes - Feb 19, 2011
- Shakira not dancing at Chechen president's B-day gig - Sep 30, 2011
- Russia's Chechnya, Ingushetia involved in land grabbing row - Aug 27, 2012
- Chechnya leader supports polygamy, wants second wife - Feb 25, 2011
- Van Damme signs 'Six Bullets' - Jun 23, 2011
- UAE Quran centre opened in Chechnya - Aug 27, 2011
- Two police officers among 12 killed in Chechnya - Aug 29, 2010
- Five policemen among seven killed in Chechnya suicide blasts - Aug 31, 2011
- Russia's Chechnya to help reconcile split couples - Mar 21, 2012
- Jean-Claude Van Damme Denies His Heart Attack Rumor - Oct 21, 2010
Tags: american stars, barrage, birthday bash, cbs news, chechnya, claude van damme, dictator, hilary swank, hollywood stars, human right watch, human rights activists, invitation, jan claude van damme, libyan leader muammar, muammar gaddafi, news reports, party analysts, ramzan, two stars, vanessa mae