High silt level leads to closure of Nathpa Jhakri power plantJune 15th, 2008 - 3:04 pm ICT by ANI
Kinnaur (Himachal Pradesh), June 15 (ANI): High silt level in the River Satluj following heavy rains has prompted the authorities at the Nathpa Jhakri power project to close the plant so that the turbines could be protected from getting damaged.
The 1,500 Megawatt hydropower project in Kinnaur District of Himachal Pradesh, supplies electricity to the states of northern India, remained closed for the fifth consecutive day.
Officials said that the permissible limit of silt is 4000 parts per million (ppm), which had exceeded 7, 500 ppm when the plant was shut down.
While the losses on account of the plant shutdown accrue to over some billions of rupees, officials maintain that the plant will resume operations in a couple of days.
“The water level has increased by 20 per cent due to which the silt has increased, therefore as a measure of safety, we have closed the plant so as to save the turbine parts from getting damaged. Though we are incurring losses because of this shutdown, these losses are nothing as compared to what we would incur if the turbines get damaged,” said N. C. Bansal, General Manager of the Nathpa Jhakri power Plant.
The power project located around 145 kilometers from Shimla, produces around 36 million units of electricity per day. The temporary shutdown has resulted in power shortage in many states of north India.
The project supplies electricity to the states of Punjab, Harayana, Uttrakhand, Rajasthan, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir and Uttar Pradesh. (ANI)
- Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit - Aug 02, 2012
- High silt keeps power plant shut in Himachal for sixth day - Aug 10, 2010
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Rising silt keeps Himachal hydropower plants shut - Aug 21, 2012
- Himachal hydropower plants remain shut for third day - Aug 22, 2012
- Hydropower projects remain shut, north India hit - Jul 26, 2011
- Nathpa Jhakri plant shut, disrupts power supply in North - Jul 27, 2010
- Himachal's hydropower plant remains shut for fifth day - Aug 09, 2010
- Himachal hydro projects resume power generation - Aug 03, 2012
- Himachal's power project remains shut for fourth day - Jul 29, 2010
- Himachal hydropower plant resumes generation - Jun 25, 2010
- Nathpa Jhakri hydropower plant remains shut for third day - Jul 28, 2010
- Jaypee's hydro project in Himachal starts partial generation - Jun 06, 2011
- Himachal hydropower project shut down - Jul 19, 2010
- Himachal hydropower plant resumes generation - Jul 20, 2010
Tags: harayana, heavy rains, himachal pradesh, hydropower project, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, northern india, parts per million ppm, plant shutdown, power plant, power shortage, punjab, rajasthan, rupees, shimla, states of north india, turbines, units of electricity, uttar pradesh, water level