High heels in ‘Delhi Belly’, a nightmare for Vir DasJune 19th, 2011 - 10:16 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 19 (IANS) Dancing might be a piece of cake for some, but for comedian-actor Vir Das it was altogether a different ball game. When he was filming his solo song “Jaa chudail” for his film “Delhi Belly”, he had to groove wearing five-and-a-half inch platform heels.
The song is said to be a tribute to the dancing style of yesteryear actor Mithun Chakroborty with influences from the style of great American singer Elvis Presley.
“I’m an item girl now,” joked Vir.
“I didn’t really realize till now the power Hindi film songs have and I never understood what a solo song can do for you. Now I know. I heard people calling me Chudail on the road. I was disturbed and flattered at the same time,” Vir told IANS in an interview.
For the 32-year-old, dancing doesn’t come very easily; hence he was petrified when he got to know that a senior choreographer like Farah Khan will be choreographing the song composed by Ram Sampath.
“Farah Khan has choreographed the song. I was terrified because she is a senior and I had heard that she is quite a task master; so I rehearsed for 14 days to get the steps right,” said Vir.
“I watched videos to get the style right. I saw more Elvis videos than Mithun videos because I have grown up watching Mithun; so I know those moves,” he said.
“It was a good experience but the most difficult part was that I had to dance in five-and-a-half inch platform heels, which was nothing less than a nightmare. The outfit was made of pure latex , so there was no ventilation. But overall I had fun. Farah is amazing to work with,” he added.
In “Delhi Belly”, Vir is playing a pivotal role along with Imran Khan and Kunal Roy Kapoor. The film directed by Abhinay Deo is produced by Aamir Khan Productions and is slated to hit screens July 1.
Throwing light on his role in the film, Vir, who has worked in films like “Mumbai Salsa”, “Love Aaj Kal” and “Badmaash Company” among others, informed: “I play a graphic designer in the film. He is a very frustrated, angry person. He is a bit of an underdog. He is broke, physically, romantically and emotionally. Horrible things happen to him. I got attracted towards the character because usually I have played guys who are happy, witty and active, but this was different.”
When asked about his interaction with Aamir during the shoot of the film and any tips that Aamir might have given him, Vir said: “Aamir never came on the sets.”
“I saw Aamir at the workshops and he never came on the sets. He is a kind of producer who wants to make sure that you are ready before stepping in and once he feels that you are ready, then you don’t see him. My only interaction with him was during the workshops,” he said.
- Vir Das shoots music video for 'Delhi Belly' - Mar 03, 2011
- After 10 years, Farah Khan teams up with Aamir again - Jan 13, 2011
- I wanted to reinvent use of music in films: Ram Sampath - Jun 17, 2011
- When Farah danced to Geeta's tune - Jul 15, 2012
- Katrina Loves To Dance - Jul 24, 2010
- Bollywood choreographers and their weighty issues (With Images) - Jan 22, 2012
- Not writing 'Delhi Belly 2': Kiran Rao - Oct 21, 2011
- In Ram Sampat, I predict that a star is born: Aamir Khan - May 29, 2011
- Showing 'Joker' in space part of promotional strategy - Jul 31, 2012
- Imran Khan wants Katrina for 'Delhi Belly' item number (With images) - May 17, 2011
- Salman aims to outdo all Khans by dancing - Jul 30, 2011
- 'Delhi Belly' item number situational, not promotional: Aamir (Interview) - Jun 30, 2011
- Aamir Khan goes bold with 'Delhi Belly' (IANS Preview) - Jun 28, 2011
- Katrina Kaif to BellyDance in Farah Khan's Tees Maar Khan - Jul 20, 2010
- 'Anarkali disco chali' puts pressure on Malaika, Farah - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,