Hema Malini keen to learn Rabindra Sangeet (Film Snippets)November 18th, 2008 - 9:15 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 18 (IANS) After being a successful actress, danseuse and politician, Bollywood’s dream girl Hema Malini now wants to learn Sanskrit and songs penned by Rabindranath Tagore, better known as Rabindra Sangeet.”I want to master Sanskrit. I want to record a CD of shlokas (chants) as much as I wish to learn Rabindra Sangeet and sing at least one song,” Hema said.
Hema was attracted to the music recently when she visited a Rabindra Sangeet soiree. There she heard singers like Lopamudra Mitra and Swagatha Laxmi Dasgupta, apart from a recitation of Tagore’s poem by eminent actor Soumitra Chatterjee.
Though Hema has sung in films like “Haath Ki Safai” and “Dream Girl”, she couldn’t pursue her vocal training due to her dance.
A professional Bharatanatyam dancer, Hema has earlier performed two dance dramas based on songs by Tagore - “Bhanu Singher Padabali” and “Rabi O Radha”.
Right now Hema is busy shooting for “Ek Thi Rani Aisi Bhi”, in which she plays erstwhile Gwalior queen Vijayraje Scindia.
Katrina Kaif homesick in New York
Katrina Kaif is currently shooting in New York with John Abraham and Neil Nitin Mukesh for Kabir Khan’s next venture, but she isn’t too happy being away from home and family.
“My professional commitments keep me busy, but I’m feeling homesick. I miss my family a lot. I miss my home,” said Katrina, who has been shooting for “New York” for over two months.
The actress is, however, keeping content with plans for a Christmas reunion with her family.
“I am trying my best to see if we can all be together. I hope no professional work comes up then. I am keeping my fingers crossed,” she said.
Katrina was seen in this year’s biggest hit “Singh Is Kinng”.
Mugdha Godse tops online poll for most popular actress
Former supermodel Mugdha Godse, who debuted in Madhur Bhandarkar’s “Fashion”, has topped an online poll as the most popular actress in Bollywood now.
To everyone’s surprise, Mugdha left behind leading actresses like Aishwarya Rai, Katrina Kaif and Kareena Kapoor and topped the charts with a whopping 1,600 hits in the live poll conducted by Buzz18.com, the online entertainment wing of the Web18 network group.
The newcomer earned rave reviews for her performance as Janet Sequeira in “Fashion”, which also featured Priyanka Chopra, Kangana Ranaut, Arbaaz Khan and Arjan Bajwa.
- Naseer-Roopa in Usha Uthup's music video - Mar 27, 2012
- Kolkata bids last farewell to Suchitra Mitra - Jan 04, 2011
- Big heroines don't need item numbers: Hema Malini - Jun 04, 2012
- Mugdha, Shriya prove actresses can work harmoniously - Jan 11, 2012
- I see world through Tagore songs, says sightless singer - May 04, 2011
- Shirish Kunder praises Andrew Garfield (Movie Snippets) - Jul 02, 2012
- Mamata's melody for road malady - Tagore songs! (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Mugdha Godse game for item numbers - Oct 25, 2010
- London poet to make his acting debut in Tagore's play - Feb 10, 2012
- Revered but not read, is Tagore reserve of the purist? - May 10, 2011
- Esha's sangeet a private affair: Hema Malini - Jun 25, 2012
- Amitabh croons 'Ekla...' for 'Kahaani', promotes it on Twitter, blog - Jan 12, 2012
- 'There can't be another Rakhi Sawant' (movie Snippets) - Dec 20, 2011
- Two-day special UNESCO tribute to Tagore's legacy - Sep 11, 2011
- Mugdha Godse turns painter - Sep 11, 2012