Heigl urges people to adopt dogsJanuary 24th, 2012 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Jan 24 (IANS) Actress Katherine Heigl is on a mission to rescue stray dogs and wants people to adopt them.
The 33-year-old’s Jason Debus Heigl foundation, which she runs with her mother Nancy, aims to encourage people to adopt abandoned dogs, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
In her blog post, Heigl revealed: “My mother Nancy and I have been fighting diligently to change policy, bring awareness and stop the unnecessary euthanisation of healthy adoptable dogs in the city and county of Los Angeles.”
“It was only four years ago that I became aware of the dire situation in our shelter systems and since then it has been immensely important to me to inform others who, like me, adore and respect their pets and would do anything to protect and shelter them but who are unaware of all the others in our country about animals suffering and dying needlessly.
“Four million healthy adoptable companion pets are being killed every year in our shelters due to overcrowding. I have faith, however, that we can change the statistics.”
- Katherine Heigl donating $1m to help animal shelters - Sep 25, 2010
- Katherine Heigl helps save 25 Chihuahuas - Dec 07, 2009
- Hilary Swank adopts dog - Sep 06, 2011
- 'Paris Hilton Syndrome' causes Chihuahua plague in dog shelters - Jan 01, 2010
- Heigl relishes newborn baby experience - Jun 12, 2012
- Charlize Theron restarts dog collection - Dec 16, 2011
- Heigl keen to adopt another kid - Jan 15, 2012
- Katherine Heigl : Motherhood Is Not Letting Her Focus On Anything - Oct 11, 2010
- Katherine Heigl wants to adopt child from Haiti - Jun 04, 2010
- Pets run loose as Chinese hostelers abandon them - May 27, 2011
- Rooting for the underdog! (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Robert Pattinson adopts stray dog - Feb 25, 2011
- Ellen Degeneres donates 1m meals to stray pets - Dec 24, 2010
- Katherine Heigl house-hunting with hubby in Nashville - Aug 13, 2010
- Katherine Heigl Ready To Sacrifice Sex Life For Her Child - May 23, 2010