Heath Ledger inspired Terry Gilliam to complete fantasy filmMay 25th, 2009 - 5:56 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 25 (ANI): Director Terry Gilliam has said that it was Heath Ledger who saved his fantasy film ‘The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus’ from being shelved, for it was the actor’s untimely death that pushed him to finish the project.
Ledger died of an accidental prescription drug overdose in January 2008, while he was shooting for the film.
The news devastated Gilliam, and he almost shut down the set.
However, his memories of the late actor prevented him from abandoning the project.
The filmmaker instead went on to revise the original script, and recruited actors Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell to fill in Ledger’s last role.
“The closing credit says ‘By Heath and Friends’ because the film changed with his death. He forced me to make changes and we wouldn’t have finished it if it wasn’t for Heath…” Contactmusic quoted him as saying.
He added: “Fortunately, I was surrounded by really good people who insisted that… we had to go out and find a way of finishing the film for Heath.”
Gilliam further said that Hollywood lost an enormous talent in Ledger, who inspired the entire cast and crew on set.
He added: “Heath was enjoying himself so much and he was ad-libbing a lot, which I don’t normally allow… but Heath was just brilliant at it and he got everybody else going. Everybody was just energised by Heath. He was extraordinary. He was almost exhausting because he had so much energy.” (ANI)
- Ledger's relatives can't watch his movies - May 17, 2010
- Heath Ledger’s last role to be played by Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell & Jude Law - Dec 24, 2009
- Gilliam recalls Ledger's last days on 'The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus' set - Oct 29, 2009
- Lily Cole owes acting career to late Heath Ledger - Sep 02, 2009
- Naomi Watts still too upset to watch ex-beau Ledger's final film - Jun 15, 2010
- Troyer convinced Ledger's death helped Doctor Parnassus movie - Sep 29, 2009
- Johnny Depp privileged to replace Heath Ledger in new film - Dec 18, 2009
- Heath Ledger's last flick to premier at Cannes - Apr 30, 2009
- Garfield takes inspiration from Ledger for Spider Man role - Nov 26, 2010
- Heath Ledger In His Last Role In "The Imagarium Of Doctor Parnassus" - Dec 24, 2009
- Ledger's final film "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" gets a buyer - Aug 13, 2009
- Heath Ledger's last film to premiere at Cannes? - Apr 24, 2009
- No takers for Heath Ledger's last film - Mar 13, 2009
- Heath Ledger's last film to release in US - Aug 14, 2009
- Garfield looks up to Ledger's 'Joker' performance for Spiderman role - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: actors, cast and crew, colin farrell, contactmusic, director terry gilliam, drug overdose, fantasy film, filmmaker, heath ledger, hollywood, imaginarium, johnny depp, jude law, memories, original script, parnassus, prescription drug, terry gilliam, untimely death