Harvard gives Shakira 2011 Artist of the Year awardFebruary 28th, 2011 - 11:20 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 28 (IANS/EFE) The Harvard Foundation has presented Colombian singer Shakira with its 2011 Artist of the Year award, an annual prize bestowed by the university’s centre for intercultural arts and science initiatives to honour the philanthropic activities of musicians, actors and writers.Shakira, who is a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and founder of the Barefoot Foundation to provide education and nutrition for children in impoverished parts of Colombia, accepted the prize at a cultural festival held Saturday at Harvard, the Boston Herald reported on its website.
After expressing her thanks for being honoured in this way, Shakira urged the university’s students to take advantage of their own opportunities and work to improve educational conditions in underdeveloped countries.
The director of the Harvard Foundation, S. Allen Counter, said that the Colombian artist was selected to receive the prize for her “distinguished history of creativity”, as well as for her charitable contributions.
The singer, who has sold some 50 million albums during her career, continues to promote her bilingual work “Sale el sol/The Sun Comes Out”, which includes her hit “Waka Waka” which she popularised at the South African World Cup.
The Foundation’s Artist of the Year award has been presented in the past to actresses Salma Hayek and Sharon Stone, actors Will Smith and Jackie Chan, and to jazz musician Herbie Hancock, among others.
- Shakira to receive Harvard honour - Feb 17, 2011
- Shakira notches 50 mn Facebook fans - May 13, 2012
- Shakira receives star on Walk Of Fame - Nov 09, 2011
- Shakira hails Barcelona soccer club as model of teamwork - Jun 22, 2011
- Shakira denies rumours of breakup with Pique - Oct 06, 2011
- Shakira sends autographed guitar to Venezuelan president - May 16, 2011
- Shakira in Puerto Rico to be with boyfriend - Aug 14, 2012
- Shakira named Harvard University's 'Artist of the Year' - Feb 22, 2011
- Shakira says she watches every match of soccer star beau - Mar 07, 2012
- Shakira honoured at NRJ Music Awards - Jan 24, 2011
- Views of Madrid in Pitbull, Shakira music video - Aug 03, 2012
- I've followed Gandhi's maxim: Shakira - Mar 04, 2010
- Don Omar, Prince Royce big winners at Billboard Latin awards - Apr 28, 2012
- Shakira asks Brazil president to back kids' projects - Mar 18, 2011
- Shakira On a High After YouTube Landmark - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: 50 million, boston herald, charitable contributions, colombian singer, educational conditions, harvard foundation, herbie hancock, jackie chan, jazz musician herbie, philanthropic activities, s allen counter, salma hayek, science initiatives, shakira, sharon stone, underdeveloped countries, unicef, unicef goodwill ambassador, waka waka, will smith