Harry Potter Star’s fear of Swine flu deathJuly 8th, 2009 - 2:34 am ICT by John Le Fevre
British actor Rupert Grint, who plays Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter films, said he thought he might die when he was told he had contracted swine flu – pandemic (H1N1).
“It was quite scary when I first found out I had swine flu. “I thought: ‘Am I going to die?’ But it was just like any other flu really. I had a sore throat and I went to bed for a few days.”
Grint was speaking ahead of the world premiere in London today of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the sixth installment of the phenomenally successful Harry Potter films.
The 20-year-old’s publicist confirmed on Saturday that he had suffered from the virus, taking several days off filming the next movie in the blockbuster series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
The World Health Organization (WHO) reports there has been 94,512 cases of pandemic (H1N1), originally termed swine flue, with 429 deaths. There were 4,591 new cases reported in the three days to July 6, with 47 confirmed deaths in the same period.
By comparison the WHO says ‘seasonal influenza in the USA is currently estimated to be 25–50 million cases per year, leading to 150,000 hospitalizations and 30,000–40,000 deaths.
‘If these figures are extrapolated to the rest of the world, the average global burden of inter-pandemic influenza may be on the order of ~1 billion cases of flu, ~3–5 million cases of severe illness and 300,000–500,000 deaths annually.’
- Thailand closes schools, internet cafes to stop swine flu spread - Jul 09, 2009
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- Harry Potter Star got Swine Flu - Jul 08, 2009
- Swine flu rising in Russia, Europe - Jan 17, 2011
- Rupert Grint missing the sets of 'Harry Potter' - Jul 14, 2011
- Rupert Grint Goes All Out To Promote Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Sep 22, 2010
- Harry Potter actor Rupert Grint too caught the swine flu bug - Jul 05, 2009
- Rupert Grint doesn't chase girls - Nov 30, 2011
- Young child among eleven H1N1 flu deaths in Jordan - Jan 23, 2011
- Emma Watson slams 'Twilight' series for 'selling sex' - Sep 04, 2010
- Rupert Grint wanted to be an artist - Nov 23, 2010
- Three new swine flu cases in Delhi - Jul 26, 2010
- 11 new cases of swine flu in Delhi - Jul 30, 2010
- Man dies of swine flu in Delhi, toll eight - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: blockbuster, british actor, flue, global burden, half blood prince, harry potter and the deathly hallows, harry potter and the half blood, harry potter and the half blood prince, influenza, pandemic influenza, potter and the half blood prince, potter star, publicist, ron weasley, rupert grint, sixth installment, sore throat, swine flu pandemic, world health organization, world premiere