Hariharan, Uthup pay musical tribute to Indian cinemaJune 9th, 2012 - 8:55 am ICT by IANS
Singapore, June 9 (IANS) Veteran singers Hariharan and Usha Uthup along with composer Lesle Lewis paid a humble tribute to 100 years of Indian cinema here Friday by recomposing and performing some of the timeless hits of different eras during IIFA Rocks, a music and fashion night.
The night was organised as part of the ongoing 13th International Indian Film Academy weekend and awards function.
The trio recreated the golden era by starting with songs from the 1950s and 1960s and moved on to the ones in the modern times.
Lewis kicked off the performance with popular song “Hawa mein udta jaiye” from 1949 film “Barsaat” and “Eena Meena Deeka” song from 1957 film “Asha”.
They later went on to sing songs from the 1960s era like “Khoya khoya chand” from “Kala Bazaar”, “Madhuban mein radhika” from “Kohinoor” and popular romantic song “Roop tera mastana” from the film “Aradhana”.
Then came foot tapping numbers like “Main hoon pyaar tera”, “Dekha na haye re” and “Yeh dosti”.
While “Disco Dancer” title track represented the 1980s, “Tuzhe dekha toh yeh jaana” represented the 1990s era. Songs like “Chhaiyan chhaiyan”, “Dhoom” and “All iz well” wrapped up the 2000 era.
The audience was seen swaying to the tunes and showing their appreciation by applauding as the performance concluded.
The posters of films like “Laila Majnu”, “Teesri Manzil”, “Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham” and “Jodhaa Akbar” played a perfect backdrop for the celebrations of 100 years.
IIFA Rocks is organised a day before the main awards ceremony. It was hosted by Ayushmann Khurrana and Chitrangada Singh.
-Indo-Asian News Service
- Bollywood's first macho man Dara Singh's filmography - Jul 12, 2012
- Popular Hindi songs, now titles of TV shows - Jan 04, 2012
- 'Khoya khoya chand' - Some of Dev Anand's hit songs - Dec 04, 2011
- Telecom executive steals Mohammed Rafi tribute show - Aug 01, 2011
- Katrina joins star parade with 'Sheila ki jawani' dance - Nov 30, 2010
- Two unheard songs of Rafi, Madan Mohan released - Jul 30, 2010
- Ranbir, Rishi shake a leg at IIFA - Jun 10, 2012
- Kishore Kumar's tunes inspire new musical 'Jhumru' - Jun 25, 2011
- 'Tum mujhe yun bhula na paoge': Shammi Kapoor's filmography - Aug 14, 2011
- IPL-5 performance a new high for Lesle Lewis - Apr 02, 2012
- Shammi Kapoor, tumsa nahin dekha (Obituary, Lead) - Aug 14, 2011
- Zoya Akhtar's 'Zindagi Na..' sweeps IIFA technical awards - Jun 09, 2012
- Ranbir imitates Kareena! (IIFA Rocks diary) - Jun 09, 2012
- Singing and sought after, Lata turns 81 (Sep 28 is Lata Mangeshkar's birthday) - Sep 27, 2010
- Kunal Kohli apes late Vijay Anand's style in 'Uff' - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: aradhana, barsaat, chitrangada singh, cinema singapore, dhoom, disco dancer, eena, fashion night, film academy, humble tribute, indian cinema, jodhaa akbar, kabhi khushi kabhie gham, kohinoor, mastana, musical tribute, romantic song, songs from the 1950s, timeless hits, yeh dosti