Hard times make hairy men more attractiveApril 6th, 2009 - 11:27 am ICT by IANS
Sydney, April 6 (DPA) The recession has made beefy blokes like Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig more appealing than scented metrosexuals like Hugh Grant and Leonardo DiCaprio, an Australian sociologist said.
Demographer Bernard Salt said that as the global financial crisis wore on, lots of women would eye a motor mechanic for a life partner rather than an investment banker.
“During the downturn, the theory is that women are concerned about safety, security and food supply, so their taste in men will shift from the androgynous, hairless metrosexual towards the more muscular, primal, hairy male,” Salt told Australian news agency AAP.
He predicted the desired body shape would “shift from hairless, sleek, a bit wimpy, to the more muscular” as economies sank deeper into recession.
Film-star looks were likely to change too, with the androgynous Zac Efrons fading from view and the hirsute, sweaty Russell Crowes taking their place.
“I’m sure that’s quite appealing to some women and the market for that will expand,” he said Sunday.
Salt predicted that the most-eligible bachelors might be plumbers, electricians and other tradesman who had skills that were marketable in good times and in bad.
But unlikely to shift, Salt said, was a trend that had seen women want good-looking men rather than just men who are good breadwinners.
He noted that in the women’s magazines of 20 years ago, the Bachelor of the Week would always be fully clothed whereas these days they were pictured in their knickers.
“It’s the objectification of men, the ‘we can do it too’,” Salt said. “It’s terrific fun. It shows a greater confidence in women.”
- Focusing on your partner's looks can ruin your romantic relationship - Apr 09, 2011
- 'People see bold pictures of women as objects' - May 16, 2012
- Stereotypes still trip women's chances to lead - Jul 14, 2011
- Brain sees men and women differently: Study - Jul 26, 2012
- Chinese youth turn metrosexual - Nov 20, 2011
- Now, Archana Kochhar designs for metrosexual men (With Image) - Apr 05, 2012
- Women prefer men to be funny rather than flawless! - Mar 07, 2011
- Sylvester Stallone's beefy look pushed John to gym - Jul 20, 2012
- The newest bloke on the block: Neosexual - Apr 14, 2009
- British men spend 18 minutes daily looking handsome - Sep 16, 2011
- Boys just want average build, not six-pack abs! - Sep 27, 2011
- Women prefer men with hairy chests, beer belly to metrosexuals - Aug 05, 2009
- Humans stink worse than other animals - Feb 24, 2011
- Christina Hendricks sparks sales of clothes that give hourglass silhouette - Feb 25, 2011
- Australian men becoming 'too soft' - Sep 05, 2010
Tags: australian news, bernard salt, blokes, body shape, daniel craig, demographer, eligible bachelors, global financial crisis, good looking men, hairy men, hugh jackman, investment banker, leonardo dicaprio, life partner, metrosexual, metrosexuals, motor mechanic, objectification of men, taste in men, wimpy