‘Guzaarish’ is my tribute to Lata-ji: BhansaliMay 17th, 2009 - 9:15 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, May 17 (IANS) Filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali says his Hrithik Roshan-Aishwarya Rai starrer “Guzaarish”, which will be shot in Goa in July and August to capture the melody of the monsoons and the romance of the place, is actually a tribute to singing legend Lata Mangeshkar.
“I learnt direction from her voice. ‘Guzaarish’ is my tribute to Lata-ji’s artistry,” Bhansali told IANS.
As Bhansali returns to Goa after his directorial debut in “Khamoshi: The Musical”, he has formulated what can only be called the complete homage to the most flawless voice. Every nuance and curve in the intense love story is inspired by the songs of Lata.
The screenplay too is inspired by Lata’s passion for excellence.
Last week Bhansali met the singing legend to seek her blessings before plunging into “Guzaarish”.
“But it was like a whole eternity passing by for me. I had always been afraid of meeting her. I’d always pass by her home in Peddar Road and hope for a glimpse of my goddess on her balcony. But to actually come face to face with her was a scary thought. One doesn’t hobnob with one’s god. But before ‘Guzaarish’ I had to meet her,” Bhansali said.
“I just wanted to sit and gaze at her. I realised in person she’s as magical as she is in her singing. There’s something other-worldly about her, a quality I haven’t encountered in anyone else in my life,” he added.
Hrithik and Aishwarya have been chosen to play the passionate lovers in “Guzaarish” because to Bhansali they epitomise the physical and spiritual beauty of Lata’s voice.
Lata too is a big fan of Bhansali’s films and says she is fortunate that she is the source of inspiration behind such a talented director’s film.
“Even I had heard that he makes his singers hear my songs over and over again before making them sing. I’ve always been a big fan of Sanjay’s films, specially ‘Black’. I remember watching the Filmfare Awards in the year of ‘Black’. Every time the nominations were announced I prayed for ‘Black’ to win. And it did. If I’m a source of inspiration to him then I count myself fortunate,” said Lata.
- Singing and sought after, Lata turns 81 (Sep 28 is Lata Mangeshkar's birthday) - Sep 27, 2010
- 'Guzaarish' - big, beautiful, dazzling (IANS Movie Review - Rating: *****) - Nov 18, 2010
- Zeffirelli's 'Romeo and Juliet' to find resonance in 'Guzaarish' - Nov 16, 2010
- Lata special: 'Guzaaarish' song to be stretched into album - Sep 25, 2010
- Critics Are All Praises In Guzaarish Review - Nov 19, 2010
- Guzaarish - A Portrayal Of Human Sufferings - Nov 13, 2010
- When Shah Rukh, Hrithik bonded over 'Guzaarish' - Nov 22, 2010
- Aishwarya not only beautiful but very sharp: Sanjay Bhansali (Interview) - Oct 27, 2010
- Friendship a liability in Bollywood: Sanjay Leela Bhansali (Interview) - Oct 15, 2011
- Aishwarya is my muse: Bhansali - Sep 23, 2010
- Bhansali and me can communicate even in silence: Aishwarya Rai - Oct 24, 2010
- I got to hospital just in time: Hrithik - Nov 22, 2010
- Ash and I have perfect equation: Hrithik - Nov 16, 2010
- 'Audiences will find new Aishwariya in Guzarish' - Nov 14, 2010
- Guzaarish: Sanjay Leela Bhansali Incorporates Dialogues From Zeffirelli’s 'Romeo & ... - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: aishwarya rai, artistry, balcony, directorial debut, filmfare awards, filmmaker, goa, hobnob, homage, hrithik roshan, love story, monsoons, nomin, nuance, passionate lovers, sanjay leela bhansali, screenplay, spiritual beauty, subhash k jha, talented director