Guwahati molestation: Amitabh questions media roleJuly 18th, 2012 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 18 (IANS) How did a television camera crew know about the molestation of a teenage girl outside a pub in Guwahati, Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan has asked while raising questions on the role of the electronic media.
“In incidents such as this, how is it that a TV camera crew comes to know beforehand of a molestation to be taking place - so they could record it as content for the channel they work for,” Amitabh wrote on his blog srbachchan.tumblr.com.
“This, if proved as per the police investigation, could mean that the TV crew colluded in the crime and then face consequences,” he added.
The incident took place July 9 when a 17-year-old girl, who was looking for an auto, was attacked by at least 11 men who molested her. It was caught on camera and went viral on the net. It also flashed across various news channels and caused outrage.
The incident has triggered debate on whether the TV crew should have filmed the incident or helped the victim.
“Pro-media comment defends itself by stating that the media’s job is to inform and that handling a mob may be the prerogative of a hero in film, but not the reporter! Giving excuse that the recording assisted in identifying the culprits, sounds lame,” said the 69-year-old Amitabh.
“This is a most unfortunate happening for the electronic media if proved in court. It would be a lesson for many to perhaps build greater honesty and integrity, than do it as an exercise because your own channel content is not sufficient enough for you to maintain position and TRPs!” he added.
- Break in at Big B's house - Jul 22, 2012
- Break in at Bachchan home (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Big B meets 'complete sport' Judi Dench - Sep 07, 2012
- Big B plans to tabulate 'Coolie' incident - Aug 01, 2012
- Big B salutes women power! - Jul 15, 2012
- Amitabh to carry Olympic torch - Jul 26, 2012
- Questions raised over media's role in Guwahati molestation - Jul 15, 2012
- Big B feels singers play vital role in actors' lives - Jul 31, 2012
- Bhojpuri films needs encouragement: Big B - Sep 02, 2012
- Bollywood condemns Guwahati molestation - Jul 14, 2012
- Big B in awe of Southern superstars' humility - Jul 12, 2012
- Glad to see Olympics medal tally increasing: Big B - Aug 07, 2012
- As youngster, Big B was in awe of dacoit Man Singh - Aug 16, 2012
- Who made Big B nervous? - Aug 17, 2012
- No breaking news of Ash's baby, skeleton coverage on TV - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: amitabh bachchan, bollywood star, camera crew, channel content, colluded, culprits, electronic media, excuse, honesty, mob, molestation, news channels, old girl, police investigation, prerogative, star amitabh bachchan, teenage girl, television camera, tv camera, tv crew