Gurbachan Singh named acting Akal Takht JathedarAugust 5th, 2008 - 4:21 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Amritsar, Aug.5 (ANI): Giani Gurbachan Singh was today named the acting Jathedar of the Akal Takht, a day after his predecessor, Joginder Singh Vedanti, resigned from the same post.
The Akal Takht is the highest temporal seat of the Sikh community. The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee (SGPC) had asked for Vedanti’’s resignation on Monday night, and on Tuesday, it accepted it formally.
Earlier, Vedanti told reporters that SGPC General Secretary Sukhdev Singh Bhaur and Executive Member Rajinder Singh Mehta had asked for his resignation.
I, without asking any further question, gave them my resignation letter, because they pledged that they were told by the President to collect the resignation and produce it in a meeting of the the SGPC at Kurukshetra on Tuesday, said Vedanti.
Vedanti refused to speak further on the issue, but his secretary, Pritipal Singh, said the former Jathedar would share his views with the media at a later date. (ANI)
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
- Sikh bodies divided over change in Guru Tegh Bahadur martyrdom date - Nov 24, 2010
- Haryana Sikhs, expressing support to SGPC, appear before Akal Takht - Sep 28, 2009
- Sikh diaspora censures Badal for removing Vedanti as Akal Takht Jathedar - Aug 05, 2008
- Amitabh pleads innocence in 1984 anti-Sikh riots - Dec 01, 2011
- Gurbachan Singh formerly appointed acting Jathedar of Akal Takht - Aug 07, 2008
- Badal's 'handpicked' man forced to quit top Sikh body (Lead) - Aug 05, 2008
- Congress opposes move to summon PM to Akal Takht - Sep 05, 2011
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots affected take out protest march in Amritsar - Aug 07, 2010
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- Akal Takht summons Sarna over his remarks against Phoolka - Jul 21, 2010
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Former Akal Takht Jathedar declared guilty of religious misconduct - Dec 05, 2009
- SGPC performs Akhand Paath in memory of Taliban-beheaded Sikhs - Feb 25, 2010
- Ardass Diwas held at Akal Takht for the first time in 26 years - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: akal takht, amritsar, executive member, general secretary, giani, gurbachan singh, joginder, kurukshetra, mehta, monday night, predecessor, ravinder singh, resignation letter, sgpc, shiromani gurdwara, sikh community, sukhdev