Groupon’s Super Bowl Commercial Draws Storm Of CriticismFebruary 8th, 2011 - 8:09 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Feb 8, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Internet voucher company Groupon has been at the receiving end of outrage by netizens in China after it aired a commercial during the recently held Super Bowl championship that featured actor Timothy Hutton hinting at the political crisis in Tibet. Since the advertisement of the United States based Internet discount company was aired on Sunday night during the Super Bowl breaks, it has left many viewers in China as well as elsewhere rather enraged with many of them reiterating that the company is capitalizing on the woes of the people of Tibet to promote the site.
The commercial that has triggered the furore showcases actor Timothy Hutton sitting at a Himalayan restaurant in Tibet while adding, “The people of Tibet are in trouble. Their culture is in jeopardy.” The actor then goes on to jokingly quip, “But they still whip up an amazing fish curry” followed by his explanation about how he resorted to the Internet discount company to get lesser price at a Chicago based Tibetan restaurant. Since the controversial commercial was aired, netizens have taken to Twitter to vent their displeasure about the advertisement saying that Groupon has given a proof of utter distaste by taking the political turmoil in Tibet as its backdrop for promoting the online bargain website.
Meanwhile, in the wake of the controversy that Groupon advertisement has managed to spark, its chief executive Andrew Mason released a statement on Monday defending the commercial while highlighting that the advertisement intended to draw attention towards worthy causes while talking jokingly about the group deal service.
- Groupon's Commercial Featuring Tibet Attracts Flak From Netizens In China - Feb 07, 2011
- Groupon's Contentious Advertisement On Tibet At The Super Bowl Irks Innumerable Americans - Feb 07, 2011
- Groupon pulls ad starring Hutton, Hurley over 'tasteless' reference to Tibet - Feb 12, 2011
- Google to buy discount coupon website for $5.3 bn - Dec 01, 2010
- The Google-Groupon deal is off - Dec 06, 2010
- Liz Hurley criticised for bikini wax ad - Feb 08, 2011
- Groupon In Takeover Talks With Google - Nov 22, 2010
- Groupon IPO raises $700 million - Nov 04, 2011
- Super Bowl commercials 2012 ad previews are on - Jan 23, 2012
- Is Google going to takeover Groupon? - Nov 22, 2010
- Gay Dating Super Bowl Ad Creates Controversy - Jan 29, 2010
- Some Super Bowl commercials 2011 leaked - Feb 05, 2011
- LivingSocial announces its deal with Whole Foods - Sep 14, 2011
- Old Spice guy Isaiah Mustafa back for round three of 2011 commercials - Jan 27, 2011
- Joan Rivers Denies Speculations About Using Tabitha Taylor As Body Double - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: amazing fish, andrew mason, backdrop, dey, displeasure, distaste, group deal, internet discount, jeopardy, madhuri, netizens, outrage, people of tibet, political crisis, political turmoil, showcases, timothy hutton, voucher, woes, worthy causes