Great time for actresses in Indian cinema: Priyanka ChopraJune 9th, 2012 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, June 9 (IANS) Priyanka Chopra admits that Indian cinema remains male- dominated but says changed perspectives towards female actors have helped current times become great times for actresses to work in the industry.
“The film industry is male dominated but it’s hugely fascinating to see how a change has come about. People’s mindset towards actresses is changing so that we can do roles which are beyond playing just being a coy girl. It is a great time for Indian actresses to be in cinema,” Priyanka said here Saturday.
She spoke at a press conference of her forthcoming film “Teri Meri Kahaani”, on the sidelines of the 13th International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) weekend and awards.
She was accompanied by co-star Shahid Kapoor and director Kunal Kohli. “Teri Meri Kahaani”, releasing June 22, is a love story that spans across three eras - 1910, 1960 and 2012.
The actress, who won a National award for her performance in “Fashion”, said she is proud to have started the trend of women-oriented films.
“When ‘Fashion’ happened, everybody told me it is a big risk, nobody comes to watch women-oriented movies. I feel like I have kickstarted all the gamut of films being made with female-dominated parts,” she added.
Priyanka revealed her journey so far has been a learning experience.
“Nobody can ensure anything in life. You just have to work hard. You just need to take care of the opportunities given to you. I am somebody who came to the film industry without knowing anyone.
“It was completely new for me as I started at the age of 17. Everything I have learned is my own. I have fallen, bruised myself so I take a lot of pride in it,” she added.
- Priyanka urges people to watch cousin's 'Ishaqzaade' - Apr 08, 2012
- Cinema needs to wean society from prejudices: Kunal Kohli - May 26, 2012
- Priyanka hungry for more meaty roles - Apr 11, 2012
- Woman power still far cry in Indian filmdom (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2012
- Priyanka's tributes to Rekha, Shahid's to southern songs - Jun 01, 2012
- Priyanka in awe of Aradhana in 'Teri Meri Kahaani' (With Images) - May 11, 2012
- Old vs new -- 'Teri Meri Kahaani' set designer in time warp - Jun 01, 2012
- 'Teri Meri...' pays tribute to 1960s movie legends - May 29, 2012
- Small films bigger than Rs.100 crore grossers: Priyanka - Jun 19, 2012
- Kunal Kohli apes late Vijay Anand's style in 'Uff' - Jun 06, 2012
- Shahid-Priyanka chemistry in 'Teri Meri...' better than 'Kaminey' - Apr 12, 2012
- It is important to be No.1: Priyanka - Mar 22, 2012
- Neha Sharma is Shahid's love interest in 'Teri Meri Kahaani' - May 12, 2012
- Shahid, Priyanka travel by Mumbai local train - Jun 14, 2012
- It's good to be bad, says Priyanka - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: actress, co star, current times, eras, female actors, film academy, film industry, forthcoming film, gamut, great time, indian actresses, indian cinema, indian film, learning experience, love story, mindset, perspectives, priyanka chopra, shahid kapoor, sidelines