Grant snubs Polanski for romantic comediesApril 4th, 2010 - 11:42 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 4 (IANS) British actor Hugh Grant turned down a chance to star in Roman Polanski’s new film “The Ghost Writer” because he wanted to focus on making romantic comedies.
Robert Harris, who adapted his own novel “The Ghost” for the big screen version, admits he originally wanted the “Four Weddings and a Funeral” star to play the part of the British prime minister’s ghostwriter in the movie but Grant turned it down, reports fashion.ie.
The role went to Scottish actor Ewan McGregor instead. Harris was disappointed by the snub and revealed Grant wanted to make “rom-coms” because they are more “profitable”.
“I pushed for Grant because my model was Hitchcock and more specifically North by Northwest, which has an ‘everyman’ hero that I thought he could play. And it was important to me, too, the film had jokes and was funny,” said Harris.
“He’s in the rom-com zone and it’s very profitable for him. But this was an opportunity to extend his range a bit,” he added.
- Grant turns down chance to star in Polanski's 'The Ghost Writer' - Apr 05, 2010
- Roman Polanski tops European Film Awards nominations - Nov 08, 2010
- McGregor not in Madonna's movie - Mar 25, 2010
- Ewan Mcgregor to star in Madonna's new film - Mar 24, 2010
- Polanski's 'The Ghost Writer' wins best film at European Film Awards - Dec 05, 2010
- McGregor replaces Depp in Don Quixote movie - May 19, 2010
- Mcgregor wants a break for family time - Jan 23, 2012
- McGregor hates comic book movies - Mar 10, 2012
- Mcgregor, Polanski almost fell out over accents - Feb 19, 2010
- McGregor's 'The Pillow Book' embarrassment - Oct 10, 2011
- Ewan McGregor's movie halted over 'death threat' - Dec 25, 2010
- Roman Polanski's New Film "The Ghost Writer" Premieres At Berlin Film Festival - Feb 14, 2010
- Roman Polanski completed new film in jail - Feb 22, 2010
- Robert Pattinson named Britain's 'best-dressed man' - Sep 29, 2010
- Ewan McGregor finds Polanski's arrest "strange" - Oct 20, 2009
Tags: actor ewan mcgregor, april 4, british actor, british prime minister, coms, everyman, ewan mcgregor, four weddings and a funeral, ghost writer, ghostwriter, hitchcock, hugh grant, jokes, new film, north by northwest, robert harris, roman polanski, romantic comedies, scottish actor, snub