Grandson Aarav lights Rajesh Khanna’s pyreJuly 19th, 2012 - 1:21 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 19 (IANS) Nine-year-old grandson Aarav lit Rajesh Khanna’s pyre Thursday at the Vile Parle cremetorium, said a close family friend.
“Aarav lit the pyre and Akshay Kumar (Rajesh Khanna’s son-in-law) assisted him,” the late superstar’s close friend Vijay Zaveri told IANS.
Braving the rain, thousand of fans gathered to pay tribute to Bollywood’s first superstar Rajesh Khanna. Celebrities like Karan Johar and Rani Mukerji were also there.
The legend’s final journey started around 10 a.m. from his residence Aashirwad in Bandra. His body, in a transparent casket, was placed on a mini-truck decorated with white flowers.
With him on his last journey were his estranged wife Dimple Kapadia, who took care of him in the last days, his younger daughter Rinke and son-in-law, actor Akshay, who is married to his elder daughter Twinkle.
The actor, fondly called Kaka by his family and friends, passed away Wednesday morning following a liver infection.
Rajesh started his career with the 1966 film “Akhari Khat” and went on to feature in hit films like “Aradhana”, “Kati Patang”, “Anand” and “Amar Prem” that propelled him to dazzling fame.
- Thousands gather to bid adieu to Kaka - Jul 19, 2012
- Grandson Aarav lights Rajesh Khanna's pyre (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Grandson Aarav lights Rajesh Khanna's pyre (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Crowd has scant respect for the departed: Big B - Jul 20, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna is dead (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- My father-in-law got a funeral he deserved: Akshay Kumar - Jul 21, 2012
- 'Achcha to hum chalte hain': Rajesh Khanna bids a quiet adieu (Obituary) - Jul 18, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna dead (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna fine, says family - Jun 21, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna, Bollywood's first superstar, no more (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna unwell, stops food intake - Jun 20, 2012
- We will miss our first hero: Kaka's female fans - Jul 18, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna gets few visitors at Lilavati - Jul 01, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna was destined to be superstar: Dimple Kapadia - Aug 18, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna was destined to be superstar, says Dimple (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: akshay kumar, amar prem, casket, dimple kapadia, elder daughter, family friend, final journey, karan johar, kati patang, khat, last journey, liver infection, mini truck, pyre, rajesh khanna, rani mukerji, rinke, vile parle, white flowers, younger daughter