‘Govinda is history, Salman is hero No. 1 in comedy’June 19th, 2008 - 5:02 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 19 (IANS) Well-known Bollywood producer Pahlaj Nihalani, who was instrumental in shaping actor Govinda’s career with his first hit “Ilzaam”, says Salman Khan is currently ruling the comedy circuit and is the best comic actor. “Though I have not worked with Salman till now, but I think in the industry today, he is the best actor as far as comic timing is concerned. He can play any kind of role but in comedy he is number one,” Nihalani, who has completed 30 years in the industry, told IANS.
Nihalani claims that his hit comic caper “Shola Aur Shabnam”, starring Govinda and late Divya Bharti, popularised comedy in Bollywood. The film was directed by David Dhawan.
“My film ‘Shola Aur Shabnam’ was a trendsetter in comedy films. People did not like to watch comedy before that, but after that viewers don’t like to watch anything besides comedy,” said Nihalani, who also produced blockbuster comedy “Aankhen” in 1993.
Nihalani is also known for introducing actors like Govinda, Suniel Shetty, Neelam Kothari, Chunky Pandey, and Divya Bharati, among others. Now he is bringing two newcomers Rishi Rehan and Avantikka in “Khushboo”, releasing Friday.
“I always believe in introducing new talents as they do not have an image. Besides, I feel the country is brimming with talent and we as responsible producers should provide them a chance to prove their mettle.”
His next will be a sequel to the 1993 hit “Aankhen” that will see most of the original cast. The producer said he is also planning to make a film based on the true story of Kandahar plane hijack in 1999.
- Nihalani turns director with Govinda starrer 'Avatar' - Mar 11, 2012
- Tough to be No.1 father, husband: Govinda - Mar 03, 2012
- Film promotion is a necessity now: Govinda - Nov 07, 2011
- Pahlaj Nihalani launches music label Dhol - Apr 22, 2008
- Filmmaker in search of Divya Bharti's look-alike - Jul 14, 2012
- Good movie needs emotional director: David Dhawan - Jul 31, 2009
- 'Multiplexes are eating away good cinema' - Jan 24, 2010
- 'Villains have vanished from Hindi cinema' - Jul 11, 2011
- Govinda is the King of Comedy: Ritesh Deshmukh - Mar 25, 2009
- Rs.50 million spent on promotion of `Khushboo' - Jun 10, 2008
- Comedy is undervalued in Bollywood: David Dhawan - Oct 19, 2009
- Indian cinema has lot to offer to West: Anupam Kher - Oct 09, 2011
- Govinda lost eight kgs for 'Naughty @ 40' - Jan 10, 2011
- Bollywood heroes clown their way into people's heart - Aug 06, 2009
- I'm very lucky for Govinda: David Dhawan (Interview) - Jul 18, 2009
Tags: aankhen, actor govinda, blockbuster, chunky pandey, comedy circuit, comedy films, comic actor, comic caper, comic timing, divya bharati, divya bharti, mettle, new talents, original cast, plane hijack, rehan, salman khan, shabnam, suniel shetty, trendsetter