Government moots National Commission for Ex-servicemenJuly 30th, 2008 - 4:31 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 30 (ANI): A proposal to constitute a National Commission for the Welfare of Ex-Servicemen is under the active consideration of the government.
This was stated by the Secretary (Ex-Servicemen Welfare) in the Ministry of Defence, Deepa Jain Singh in her inaugural address to the annual conclave of the Directorate General of Resettlement (DGR) here today.
The measure will expedite issues of rehabilitation, welfare and help resolve grievances of retired soldiers, martyrs and their families, she said.
Nearly 60,000 personnel retire from the three wings of the armed forces every year and most of them are in the productive middle age group. There are nearly 14 lakh Ex-servicemen and over 2.5 lakh widows.
When this figure is projected considering each Ex-Servicemans minor children, dependent parents, brothers and sisters, it could affect the livelihood of close to one crore population, she added.
In view of the vast population of Ex-Servicemen, the government last year created the post of Secretary in the Defence Ministry to deal exclusively with issues related to the Ex-Servicemen welfare.
Deepa Singh, who has undertaken an exhaustive study on the welfare of Ex-Servicemen during her short four-month stint as Secretary (ESW), said a capsule on the subject is soon to be introduced at the Lal Bahadur Shastri Academy, Mussourie.
It would sensitize the young IAS probationers of the vital issues of concern related to the Ex-Servicemen Welfare before they assume responsibility of the District Magistrate posts across the country. This is a step towards fulfilling the Prime Ministers ambitious Skill Development Mission, she added. (ANI)
- 'Serious fraud probe' into ex-servicemen job scam - Sep 25, 2011
- Watch real life stories of ex-servicemen on Doordarshan - Jul 05, 2010
- Apex court recalls order on panel for ex-servicemen - Jul 18, 2011
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- Diwali terror plot tip of iceberg, says Antony - Oct 15, 2011
- President Patil's office rejects land-grab charges - Apr 12, 2012
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- Shashi Kant Sharma next defence secretary - Jul 07, 2011
- Provide more jobs to retired defence personnel: Antony - Jun 27, 2011
- Congress official urges ex-servicemen not to return medals - Mar 18, 2010
- Government accepts recommendations on ex-servicemen's pension - Mar 10, 2010
- After bribe revelations, Army chief talks about army welfare - Mar 31, 2012
- President forgoes post-retirement accommodation in Pune - Apr 27, 2012
- President forgoes post-retirement accommodation in Pune (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Army chief meets Rajasthan chief minister - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: brothers and sisters, conclave, defence ministry, dependent parents, district magistrate, esw, grievances, jain, lakh, lal bahadur shastri, livelihood, martyrs, middle age, ministry of defence, moots, prime ministers, resettlement, skill development, stint, widows