Gomez supports Unicef campaignApril 20th, 2012 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, April 20 (IANS) Singer-actress Selena Gomez has urged her fans to donate to the latest Unicef campaign to help starving children in Africa.
The young star has served as an ambassador for the organisation since 2009, and also filmed an emotional appeal for help in the Sahel region, which is experiencing severe drought, leaving families without food, reports dailystar.co.uk.
“Right now more than a million children could die in the Sahel region of west and central Africa. Crops have failed in eight drought-hit countries, leaving families with almost nothing to eat. Children are especially vulnerable when they don’t get the nutrition that they need,” Gomez said in a video.
“Unicef urgently needs your help to buy therapeutic food and medicine to treat the most sick and malnourished children. It can save their lives. Please help right now. I did - will you?” she further said.
To reach out to a larger number of people, the 19-year-old even posted the video on her Twitter page.
“We must save kids in the Sahel Now,” she tweeted.
- Gomez vows not to spend lavishly - May 09, 2012
- Unicef seeks help for 1.25 mn Somalian kids - Jul 29, 2011
- UNICEF appeals for $1.28 billion for 2012 humanitarian aid - Jan 28, 2012
- Drought in Horn of Africa affects 1.8mn children: UN - Jun 02, 2011
- Drought threatens 2 mn kids in Horn of Africa: UN - Jul 09, 2011
- UNICEF appeals for $1.2 bn to help children in 2012 - Jan 28, 2012
- Gomez to perform for Unicef - Jan 10, 2012
- Food crisis looms in Africa's Sahel region - Jan 31, 2012
- Gomez gave first salary to pay rents - Jan 01, 2012
- Thurman urges fans to help famine-hit Africa - Oct 29, 2011
- Selena Gomez blames 'unhealthy food' for hospitalisation - Jun 17, 2011
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt donate money to feed children in Somalia - Oct 10, 2011
- Gomez's obsessive fan given restraining order - Jan 08, 2012
- 750,000 people may die in East African famine: UN - Sep 07, 2011
- McGregor to take part in charity yacht race - Aug 08, 2011