Glittering fashion show, flat jokes at IIFA charity eventJune 12th, 2009 - 11:53 pm ICT by IANS
By Fakir Hassen
Macau, June 12 (IANS) Product placement in Bollywood took on a whole new meaning at the IIFA Fashion Extravaganza here Friday night in aid of film industry workers, even as a number of film stars walked the ramp, but the jokes scripted by hosts Zayed Khan and Sophie Chaudhary fell quite flat.
The Shiamak Davar dancers introduced the latest mobile phone by sponsor Videocon in an energetic routine before the first two models of the new phone to be launched soon were autographed on stage by Amitabh Bachchan and Anil Kapoor, to be auctioned off later in aid of the IIFA Foundation which supports widows and orphans of film industry workers.
The work of a host of Indian and Macauan designers was featured not only by models, but in some instances also by Bollywood stars.
Dino Morea sparkled in a white suit to offset the cream outfit of Dia Mirza, both designed by Manav Gangwani, while leading Macau designer Chris Chang prominently used children in her display.
Raima Sen and Neha Dupia were part of the ensemble that modeled exquisite jewellery by D’damas and Sonam Kapoor highlighted the collection by rising designer Anamika Kapoor.
Neil Nitin Mukesh showed off a black suit as part of the Siyaram range, but it was not what he would wear in his next film, “Jail”, by award-winning filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar, in which Mukesh earlier said he would wear genuine jail uniforms lent to them by the authorities.
Also taking to the stage to introduce “Do Knot Disturb”, their next film together, were Govinda, Sushmita Sen, Producer Vasu Bhagnani and director David Dhawan.
“I don’t know why they called me onto the stage at a fashion show like this!” Govinda remarked in jest. “Have you seen my clothes that I’m wearing?”
Amid the glitz and glamour, Khan and Chaudary tired hard to crack the punch lines of their scripted jokes, largely failing to secure laughs from the audience for the cliched gags.
Scores of fans lined the Green Carpet, singing popular Hindi songs as their favourite stars arrived for the event, most stopping to pirouette in their outfits for the TV cameras.
Overall though, the effort was lauded for the funds that would go to the foundation for a worthy cause.
The IIFA Fashion Extravaganza is part of the three-day IIFA Weekend that ends here Saturday evening with the IIFA Awards for the best in a range of film categories.
- 'Indian Cine' Stars on Catwalk at IIFA Fashion - Jun 13, 2009
- Shahid, Priyanka's 'Uff' moment at IIFA Rocks - Jun 09, 2012
- Brett Lee to walk the ramp for Indian designer - Jun 17, 2011
- Sonakshi Sinha new face of D'Damas (With Image) - May 30, 2011
- It's back to Singapore for IIFA this year - Apr 24, 2012
- Hrithik, Akshaye impress with singing, designing (Snippets) - Jun 16, 2009
- Men in black, beauties in gowns ruled IIFA green carpet - Jun 06, 2010
- Oprah asked for traditional sari: Tarun Tahiliani (With Image) - Jan 19, 2012
- Deepika's style statement (Movie Snippets) - Nov 08, 2011
- No big stars shone on LFW ramp - Mar 16, 2011
- Indian ethnic wear gets Pakistani touch at Ludhiana fashion show - Nov 12, 2010
- Raj Kapoor clan gathers at street naming in Canada - Jun 25, 2011
- With stars, dance, music - IIFA spreads Indian fever in Toronto (Review) - Jun 27, 2011
- Malaika my mentor and muse: designer Rick Roy (Lead) (With Image) - Jun 28, 2012
- Manish Malhotra to open Delhi Couture week - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: amitabh bachchan, anil kapoor, bollywood stars, charity event, david dhawan, dia mirza, dino morea, exquisite jewellery, glitz and glamour, latest mobile phone, neha dupia, nitin mukesh, punch lines, raima sen, shiamak davar, sonam kapoor, sophie chaudhary, videocon, white suit, zayed khan