Giving up alcohol killed Amy, her family feelsJuly 29th, 2011 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS) The family of late singer Amy Winehouse, whose cause of death is still being speculated, claims that she died because she completely quit alcohol and drugs.
The sun.co.uk reports that her family believes the singer’s decision to quit alcohol completely for three weeks was a lethal “shock” for her body.
“Abstinence gave her body such a fright they thought it was eventually the cause of her death,” said a source close to Amy’s family.
“He (Mitch) said doctors had told Amy to gradually reduce her intake of alcohol and to avoid bingeing at all costs. Amy told him she couldn’t do that. It was all or nothing and she gave up completely. Mitch said the shock of giving up, after everything she had been through over a bad few years, was just too much for her to take,” the source added.
But experts agree people become so dependent on alcohol that their bodies go into shock if they stop completely.
“If you go from very high alcohol consumption to nothing, you can get the DTs and fits that can leave you unconscious, in danger of stopping breathing and dying because of that,” said doctor Julian Spinks. “Alcohol and drugs can also damage the liver, heart and brain and leave you more susceptible to dying from other things.”
The cause of death has still not been determined. Her family will have to wait for four weeks for the results of toxicology tests.
- We did our best to save Amy: Mitch Winehouse - Jul 09, 2012
- 'Angel' Amy Winehouse cremated - Jul 27, 2011
- Amy Winehouse's father wants to set up a rehab center - Aug 05, 2011
- Amy was too young to die, says goddaughter - Jul 24, 2012
- Amy died of seizure during detox? - Sep 11, 2011
- Amy Winehouse' autopsy is inconclusive - Jul 26, 2011
- No illegal drugs Amy's body: Report - Aug 24, 2011
- Brand regrets not helping Winehouse - Aug 13, 2012
- Coroner: Amy Winehouse's death is non suspicious - Jul 25, 2011
- Winehouse's life-size statue in Camden? - Jun 08, 2012
- Amy's dad to honour her with a concert - Aug 24, 2011
- Winehouse drank herself to death: Coroner - Oct 27, 2011
- Gaultier's show infuriates Winehouse's father - Jan 28, 2012
- Winehouse's Camden house up for sale - May 31, 2012
- Sarah is ideal for Amy charity: Mitch Winehouse - Oct 25, 2011