Gisele Bundchen slammed for describing sun lotion as ‘poison’February 4th, 2011 - 1:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 04 (ANI): Cancer experts have criticized Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bundchen for describing sun lotion as “poison”.
Despite having previously starred in an advertising campaign for a range of sun creams, Bundchen said she does not use the products herself.
“I cannot put this poison on my skin,” she said, referring to the widespread use of chemicals in lotions to absorb UVA and UVB light.
Dr Dolival Lobao, head of dermatology at Brazil’s National Cancer Institute, condemned her comments.
“Sunscreen prevents damage to the skin and is of fundamental importance for the prevention of cancer,” the Telegraph quoted Lobao as saying.
“This is not any poison. When a public person makes a statement like this, it creates confusion and I find that regrettable,” Lobao added.
Jessica Harris, senior health information officer at Cancer Research UK, said: “Using sunscreen with at least SPF15 can help to protect your skin, along with spending some time in the shade and covering up with clothing.
“Sunscreens are fully tested before they can be sold and are not harmful to the skin,” Harris added. (ANI)
- Protect skin with sunscreen, but use lightly - May 20, 2012
- Busting myths about tanning and sun protection - May 25, 2010
- Gisele Bundchen Denies Calling Sunscreen 'Poison' - Feb 08, 2011
- Bundchen's 'poison' sunscreen comment was a 'translation error': Rep - Feb 09, 2011
- Gisele Bundchen denies calling sunscreen as poison - Feb 08, 2011
- FDA To Initiate New Sunscreen Labels - May 31, 2010
- FDA To Introduce New Sunscreen Labels - May 31, 2010
- Beat the summer - sleep well, eat well for glowing skin - Apr 18, 2012
- Broccoli and brussels sprouts boost sunscreens' cancer fighting abilities - Apr 27, 2011
- Strawberry extract protects skin against UV rays - Aug 05, 2012
- Sunscreens containing vitamin A do not cause skin cancer: Study - Aug 11, 2010
- Sunshine causes wrinkles 'even through a window' - Sep 07, 2010
- FDA: New sunscreen labels in the pipeline - May 31, 2010
- Daily sunscreen prevents melanoma in adults - Dec 07, 2010
- Sun-protective clothing to save your skin from UV rays - May 05, 2009
Tags: advertising campaign, cancer experts, cancer research uk, dermatology, fundamental importance, gisele bundchen, health information, information officer, jessica harris, lobao, london feb, lotions, national cancer institute, public person, senior health, sun creams, sun lotion, sunscreens, uva and uvb, uvb light