Girl child empowerment responsibility of cinema: ShabanaMay 19th, 2012 - 2:00 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 19 (IANS) Acclaimed actress Shabana Azmi, who has always tried to portray a strong Indian woman on screen, says it is the responsibility of filmmakers to project women in the right light for society’s benefit.
“If we understand that in today’s age and day when girls are being killed at birth for the crime of being a girl, it is the responsibility of cinema to create positive images of women so that people understand that daughters are not a liability, but assets,” Shabana said here.
The 61-year-old asserts it’s not important to portray woman empowerment in every film. But an underlying message can easily be passed on in the garb of entertainment.
“I am not saying that every single film must talk about that, but there are subliminal messages. There are subliminal messages that girls can be empowered,” she said.
Bollywood has witnessed a change in the portrayal of women, as well as the importance given to female actors. Vidya Balan, with hit films “The Dirty Picture” and “Kahaani”, is proof of this.
Shabana feels the change is better late than never.
“Girls can stand up to their parents, they can make choices about their life and that I think is happening in Indian cinema hundred years later, which I welcome,” she said.
- A rare film that can claim to be a game-changer (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Mar 08, 2012
- Vidya should avoid pitfall of doing central parts: Shabana - Mar 21, 2012
- Sujoy Ghosh wants Vidya, Big B in next - Apr 04, 2012
- 'Aladdin' flopped as I failed to tell a story: Sujoy Ghosh - Feb 10, 2012
- India's screen divas are symbols of Indian femininity: Neville Tuli (Interview)(With Image) - Jun 15, 2012
- Tina's 'Uttaran' tales with Vidya's 'Kahaani' - Feb 23, 2012
- Driving social change for women - via stardom - Sep 12, 2012
- Women-centric films reflect changing society: Vidya - May 30, 2012
- Co-incidentally I've become face of change: Vidya - Feb 23, 2012
- Woman power still far cry in Indian filmdom (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2012
- Single screen theatres resurface to tell Vidya's 'Kahaani' - Apr 03, 2012
- Vidya's 'Kahaani' enters third week, still going strong - Mar 24, 2012
- Sujoy Ghosh wishes Vidya Happy B'day - Jan 01, 2012
- Vidya played choosy before saying yes for 'Kahaani' - Feb 16, 2012
- Bollywood woman power: Vidya, Ekta carry the baton - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: actress, assets, being a girl, child empowerment, choices, female actors, filmmakers, films, garb, girl child, hundred years, images of women, indian cinema, indian woman, mumbai, portrayal of women, proof, shabana azmi, subliminal messages, vidya balan