Gilanis unscheduled Dubai visit cost Pak exchequer Rs one croreJuly 15th, 2008 - 2:26 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, July 15 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilanis unscheduled diversion from Kuala Lumpur to Dubai, instead of landing at Islamabad after attending the D-8 Summit, cost the national exchequer more than one crore rupees.
Gilani and his 40-member delegation, including one member from the Opposition and five businessmen, had left the country on July 7 to attend the Summit . More than 50 security personnel and bureaucrats had gone to Kuala Lumpur in advance.
According to some members of the delegation, the team was to land back in Islamabad . However, the plane was diverted to the UAE, where Gilani and some other PPP leaders were to attend a party meeting. According to sources in the PIA, the flight diversion cost the government a total of Rs 16 lakh in terms of aviation, fuel and some other charges.
Besides this, they added, keeping in view the summer, which is a season of travelling, the extra use of plane cost the PIA over Rs 50 lakh, reported The News.
After reaching Dubai , some bureaucrats and members of the delegation were accommodated in the luxurious Grand Hyatt Hotel, one of the most expensive hotels in the world. The remaining delegation members were checked in in yet another luxurious hotel Move-n-Pick.
The countrys Information Minister Sherry Rahman, Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Syed Khursheed Shah and Minister for Kashmir and Northern Areas Qamar-ul-Zaman Kaira had directly reached Dubai from Pakistan to attend the CEC meeting.
According to the sources, 40 rooms were reserved in the Grand Hyatt Hotel besides the rooms reserved in the other hotel. Those members of the delegation who were not part of the PPP meeting remained stuck to their rooms as a tour of Dubai was not scheduled. (ANI)
- Park Hyatt hotel opens in Hyderabad - Apr 27, 2012
- Business as usual unacceptable, Gilani warns PIA - Nov 04, 2011
- Pakistan-India dialogue increases SAARC significance: Gilani - Nov 09, 2011
- Shanghai hotel aims to set height record - Dec 20, 2010
- Gilani to stay at Chandigarh hotel hosting both teams (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- PIA flight full, so two get seats in loo instead - Feb 15, 2012
- PPP nominates Shahabuddin for prime minister's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- IAF chopper to fly Gilani to Mohali - Mar 29, 2011
- Dikshit leaves for Asian cities' summit in Tokyo - Nov 06, 2010
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- PM 'walks' the talk for Obama, Wen and Hun (Postcard from Bali) - Nov 18, 2011
- Come up with new business plan: Gilani to PIA - Dec 30, 2011
- Rs.500,000 salary for 150 PIA officials - Sep 15, 2011
- Pak hosts most expensive cabinet meeting while observing austerity - Jan 01, 2010
- Gilani supports dual citizenship for MPs - May 28, 2012
Tags: aviation fuel, bureaucrats, crore rupees, delegation members, flight diversion, gilrs one, grand hyatt hotel, hotel one, information minister, kaira, kuala lumpur, lakh, luxurious hotel, member delegation, northern areas, parliamentary affairs, rs 50, security personnel, yousuf