Gia Marie Carangi, The Model Who Had It AllJune 20th, 2009 - 2:03 pm ICT by GD
The 1998 HBO movie “Gia” starring Angelina Jolie in the character of the famous and doomed model, was aired on the Oxygen network on June 19, at 8 p.m and 9 p.m. The story of the movie focuses on the life and death of the supermodel of the 1970s, who had conquered the world with her beauty and grace.
The life of Gia Marie Carangi is one of extreme emotions, as the model rose to super stardom and went down to her death in a very early age. She was spotted by a photographer while hanging out at the beach and was asked to pose for some pictures. The photographs taken of her landed on the desk of the Vogue magazine. Then on there was nothing that could stop her. In a few days time she became the darling of the fashion world.
At the young age of 18, in 1978, Gia posed for innumerable high profile fashion houses, starting off with Gianni Versace. She broke the existing craze for the blond- blue eyed beauty, that till then was considered to be the most beautiful archetype for a woman. With her visibly striking, dark good looks, she soon set up a new mold for the fashion magazines to look up to.
Gia Marie Carangi’s life was not a smooth one. The model had had her share of difficulties with drugs and had visited rehabs a lot of times. Also her conflicting sexuality led her astray on many occasions, as had the death of her surrogate mother. In 1986, at the young age of 26, Gia passed away after been diagnosed with AIDS.
- 'Mad Men' star January Jones signs on to be the new face of Versace - Nov 24, 2010
- Donatella Versace considers her label daring - Nov 21, 2010
- It's splitsville for January Jones, Jason Sudeikis - Jan 18, 2011
- Donatella Versace loves Lady Gaga - Nov 09, 2011
- Girl kills self after boy cancels date - Dec 20, 2011
- Naomi Campbell opens up about career on catwalk - Sep 30, 2010
- Vogue's 'dawn of dusk' treatment for 'Snow White syndrome' in India - Apr 11, 2010
- Only Versace for me, says Gaga - Jun 10, 2011
- January Jones dubbed 'the most glamorous actress of our time' - Jan 29, 2011
- Crawford protecting daughter from media, not hindering her career - Mar 09, 2012
- Donatella not worried about celebrity designers - Apr 20, 2011
- Karlie Kloss graces the cover of Vogue Italia issue - Dec 02, 2011
- NZ teacher deregistered for posing naked for Penthouse mag - May 04, 2011
- Ronaldo's girlfriend Irina Shayk in nude photo row - Nov 25, 2010
- Tom Ford chooses to pose with 15-yr-old model on French Vogue cover - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: angelina jolie, archetype, beauty and grace, darling, eyed beauty, fashion houses, fashion magazines, fashion world, gia marie carangi, gianni versace, hbo, high profile, life and death, oxygen network, smooth one, stardom, starring angelina jolie, supermodel, surrogate mother, vogue magazine