Ghazals with symphony to attract Gen Next: Jagjit SinghDecember 8th, 2010 - 1:57 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 8 (IANS) Ghazal maestro Jagjit Singh who has come up with a new concept of “ghazal symphony” has said this would attract the younger generation to the genre of ghazals.
“This entire thing was created to do something new and to change the format of ghazals. It was done so that the genre appeals to the younger generation as well,” Singh told reporters here Tuesday night.
Organised by the Odyssey Corporation Ltd, the ghazal night saw many celebrities from the music industry including Gulzar, Suresh Wadekar, Vishal Bhardwaj and wife Rekha Bhardwaj and Ismail Darbar among others.
Singh, who performed live with 30 musicians, belted out his hit numbers like “Tum itna jo muskura rahe ho”, “Hoshwalon ko khabar kya” and “Sarakti jaaye hai”.
The concert would be held in a series with the next one in Ahmedabad Dec 17.
“Singing ghazals with so many musicians is a very different thing altogether. You need a certain kind of discipline for this. You can’t anything extra, everything is fixed,” he said.
The 30 musicians kept the orchestration strong at the event with flutes, violins, guitars and other instruments.
- Bollywood has no taste for ghazals: Jagjit Singh - Mar 29, 2011
- Jagjit Singh passes away - Oct 10, 2011
- B-Town prays for Jagjit Singh's speedy recovery - Sep 24, 2011
- Ghazal loses its soulful king in Jagjit Singh (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2011
- Jagjit's voice initially seen not suited for films: Lata - Oct 12, 2011
- Fans, family, friends bid adieu to Jagjit Singh - Oct 11, 2011
- Jagjit Singh brought soul to film songs, says Bollywood - Oct 10, 2011
- Jagjit Singh to enthrall with ghazal symphony - Dec 07, 2010
- Jagjit Singh admitted to Lilavati Hospital - Sep 24, 2011
- Music directors today lack a taste for ghazals: Jagjit Singh - Apr 09, 2009
- For Vidya, Urdu literature means Gulzar - Feb 17, 2012
- Artists don't subscribe to India-Pakistan differences: Ghulam Ali - Sep 23, 2011
- Jhuki jhuki si nazar, in remembrance of Jagjit Singh (Obituary) - Oct 10, 2011
- Jagjit Singh Announces New Album At Mumbai Ghazal Concert - Dec 08, 2010
- Why have ghazals faded out in Bollywood? - Dec 18, 2008
Tags: ahmedabad, bhardwaj, corporation ltd, discipline, ismail darbar, itna, jagjit singh, khabar, kya, maestro, mumbai, music industry, musicians, odyssey, orchestration, rahe, suresh, tuesday night, violins, younger generation