‘Ghajini’ producers face lawsuit days before releaseDecember 23rd, 2008 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 23 (IANS) With just days left for the release of “Ghajini”, the film producers have been sent court summons by KBC Pictures claiming to possess the rights of remaking the Tamil version of the movie. But the makers of “Ghajini” say the film will be released as per schedule despite the lawsuit. The producers, who woke up to the court summons Monday, have been accused of infringement of KBC Pictures’ copyright. KBC Pictures is producing a film titled “Kahani Ghajini Ki”, which has an Amitabh Bachchan lookalike in the lead.
Producer Madhu Mantena rushed to the court Monday and was allowed to go ahead with the release of “Ghajini” by the judge, after he asked why the allegedly aggrieved party waited so long to express his grievance.
However, the producers have been asked to return to the court Dec 24, a day before the film’s worldwide release.
“This is such a blatant and crude method to stop our film’s release,” Mantena told IANS. “Obviously the judge saw through it and asked us to proceed, though we are supposed to present ourselves again in court Dec 24.
“But it’s a rather sad misuse of the judiciary by people who have nothing better to do than harass others. Where do they get the time to indulge in such transparently-fraudulent efforts? I mean, who had heard of ‘Kahani Ghajini Ki’ until now? I hadn’t.”
He said it was an “insignificant case which will not affect the release of the film”.
“We’re holding special previews Dec 24 before the release, but no premiere,” he added.
Producer Iqbal claims KBC Pictures made a film called “Kahani Ghajini Ki” at a cost of Rs.100 million, and with the same storyline as “Ghajini”.
- Bombay High Court allows 'Ghajini' release (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- Madras High Court stays screening of Aamir starrer 'Ghajini' (Roundup) - Dec 23, 2008
- Court stays worldwide release of Aamir-starrer 'Ghajini' (Intro Roundup) - Dec 24, 2008
- Want to combat piracy? Go for John Doe order - May 25, 2012
- Sonal Mehta, 'Rann' producers to make out-of-court settlement? - Jan 26, 2010
- Highlights of the Copyright (Amendment) Bill, 2010 (To go with Music creators welcome copyright amendment, industry unhappy) - May 22, 2012
- Haven't done anything wrong in 'Don 2': Ritesh Sidhwani - Nov 16, 2011
- Aamir's 'Ghajini' gets courts' nod for release (Intro Roundup) - Dec 24, 2008
- Court declines to stay release of 'Chalo Dilli' - Apr 27, 2011
- Court restricts cable operators from showing 'Thank You' - Apr 07, 2011
- 'Ghajini' gets two courts' nod for Thursday release (Roundup) - Dec 24, 2008
- 'Rann' director refutes copyright violation charge - Jan 21, 2010
- Katrina's 'Sheila Ki Jawani' brings crowds to TMK - Dec 24, 2010
- Taurani to launch son opposite Shruti Haasan - Jul 29, 2012
- Court asks police to book Vidya Balan for obscenity - Dec 08, 2011