Gere remembers friend Herb RittsApril 3rd, 2012 - 6:33 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, April 3 (IANS) Hollywood superstar Richard Gere has paid a touching tribute to late photographer Herb Ritts who died from pneumonia in 2002.
Gere shared his memories before the launch of “Herb Ritts: LA Style”, a collection of his work in Los Angeles.
He called the artist “one of the warmest human beings” he had ever met, and admitted he still cries when chatting about Ritts, who captured iconic images of stars like Madonna, Mel Gibson and Cindy Crawford, reports contactmusic.com.
“I was 26 or so when I met Herb Ritts. Somehow he was in this group of actors. He was the one who was really nice to be around, unlike a lot of people in that group who weren’t, including me,” he told hollywoodreporter.com.
“There’s a very real reason why Herb was on top of everyone’s list of still photographers. He captured something in his subjects - an essential quality. We recognise ourselves. He had a warmth in his photographs that everyone liked,” he said.
“He’s one of the warmest human beings I’ve ever known. Something that I don’t think everyone realises about Herb is that he was an artist. He did fashion photography as a job but had the soul of an artist, and he wanted that shot. He was the kind of guy that whenever I see mutual friends who loved Herb, we start crying,” he added.
- Kids thrilled over Brangelina's engagement - Apr 16, 2012
- Johnny Depp to work in biopic - Oct 09, 2011
- Pitt, Washington in 'Candy Store'? - Aug 25, 2012
- Cannabis turned Pitt into 'doughnut' - Jan 26, 2012
- Tony Scott laid to rest - Aug 26, 2012
- Depp suffered back injury on 'Pirates' set - May 09, 2011
- Guetta, Usher team up - Apr 27, 2012
- Eastwood to be honoured for cinematic contribution - Sep 13, 2011
- Clooney, Roberts sue electronics companies - May 02, 2012
- Ryan Seacrest turns movie producer - Nov 04, 2011
- DiCaprio, Maguire, Hardy to produce new film - Aug 29, 2012
- Affleck, Timberlake to star in 'Runner, Runner' - Apr 16, 2012
- Radcliffe to star in 'Horns' - Jul 15, 2012
- Iconic images of some of Playboy's sexiest pin-ups up for grabs - Nov 19, 2010
- Anil Kapoor to play cop in Hollywood film 'Cities' - May 04, 2011
Tags: actors, cindy crawford, fashion photography, herb ritts, hollywood superstar, human beings, iconic images, launch, madonna, mel gibson, memories, mutual friends, photographer herb, pneumonia, real reason, realises, richard gere, still photographers, tribute, warmth